• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kcoyote

I live in Phoenix Arizona, I have stated to my roomate that I will be moving out at the end of May. I have also told her that I will give her rent for June to give her time to find a new roomate. This is well beyond a thirty day notice. She says that since we had made a verbal agreement that I would be there till the end of the Year (December) she is going to take me to court to get the rest of the Rent and Electricity bills that I would be paying if I was going to be living there. These bills are not past due. She feels I am liable for these even though I am not going to be living there. My name is not on the lease, just her's.

Is there any truth to this. Would she be able to get a judgement against me.

JETX

Based purely on your post, it appears that she would be hard-pressed to show that you have any liablity beyond your tenancy. I would suggest that you give her written notice of your intent to move, your intent to pay how much of what bills for how long, and your understanding that this is beyond your actual obligation, but being done to minimize her inconvenience. Make sure that you keep a copy with the date that you handed the notice to her (do not just 'leave it' for her to find.. hand it to her). This should help minimize any chance of her prevailing if she decides to take further action. (And yes, she can sue you, since anyone can sue anyone else.)

However, if you have any obligations to pay utilities (gas, electric, cable, etc.) in your name, I would strongly suggest that you arrange to discontinue service of them as appropriate. Be sure that you also give your roommate sufficient notice so that she can arrange them being re-started in her name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">