• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missing Will and Uncle's Name on House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clee3420

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

This is a bit complicated.

My grandmother recently passed away, my grandfather passed away 21 years ago. Ten years ago my Uncle convinced her to add his name to her house deed as well as her bank accounts in order to make things easier when she passes away. However, in her will (as she has told me and countless others) everything is to be split according to the will among her 4 children and grandchildren.

A few days before my grandmother passed away, when she was in the hospital, my Uncle went to her home and cleaned out anything of value, and everything of importance that was to be left to certain people in the will (again, after many conversations with my grandmother I knew who was supposed to get what).

My Uncle now claims the will is missing, and the lawyer (who is his personal friend) also claims that he does not have a copy of the will and refuses to talk to anyone, as my Uncle was also supposed to be the executer of the missing will. We know 100% there IS a will, however no one claims to have it despite it being in the same place in her house for years.

Is there any legal way to properly and equitably split her property according to her wishes, even though his name is now the only one on the house and accounts? I know the morality of the issue won't hold up in court, but the fact that she has told everyone her wishes prior to this, so despite only his name remaining on the deed/accounts, can anything be done?

This is all a very shady; my Uncle is obviously not the most moral person but my grandmother unfortunately was blind to most of his misdeeds.

My family is trying to obtain a lawyer but any information anyone can give to me regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">