• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

to dust or not dust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlee19841

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa

I've been working for a company for two years and the the place I work for processes inolex chemials. It gets processed on a large sandvick machine and then drops into a bagger. When it drops into a bag its the size of small chips. I recently started getting real dry eyes after work. Their is no type of dust collectiion system attached to the machine . So the dust just drops on me from the bagger and we wear saftey glasses but still get in my eyes. Their is only two fans in the area blowing the dust around. It is rated a 2 on the msds book for health. And also on the label their is a warning that says avoid creating dust when making. Is their anything I can do to rectify the problem as in seek legal advise. I just don't want to wake up with lung cancer one day. Thanks for any help

Dave1952

According to the MSDS, Lexamine is irritating to eyes. Report your dry eyes to your supervisor. Ask for goggles instead of safety glasses. See if the extra protection of goggles fixes the problem. If you think that inhaled dust is a problem ask for a dust mask. Goggles and dust masks can be uncomfortable to wear. Is anyone else having "dust" problems?
But first give some thought to other causes of your problem. You've been exposed to this dust for 2 yrs. but your eye problem is recent.

Good luck

justalayman

here is a link to the MSDS for lexamine 13

http://msds.orica.com/pdf/shess-en-cds-010-000000031323.pdf

It specifically states it is an irritant to both eyes and skin. It cautions that repeated exposure may lead to allergic contact dermatitis.

this is the PPE suggested but varies depending on the type and level of exposure:

OVERALLS, SAFETY SHOES, CHEMICAL GOGGLES, GLOVES, DUST MASK.

If you believe the situation should be investigated or the company will not provide the proper gear, you would contact OSHA to initiate an investigation.

Pennsylvania Area Offices

xylene

You should discretely contact OSHA right away.

This is more that just a PPE oversight, this type of Sandvik machine was designed to have a dust control system installed. It is not proper for it to simply blow the particulate leavings onto the operator, even if they were not MSDS moderate contact and inhalation hazards.

That is certainly a problem, as is the fact that the efforts at ventilation further aerosolize and suspend particulate matter. Even worse that it is hazardous particulate matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">