• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor fender bender - Suing me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JulianB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

After twenty-five years of driving with no accidents and no tickets, I finally had a minor collision.
Here's what happened. I was sitting in my Jeep Wrangler parked outside my condo. I forgot I had put my vehicle in reverse. I stepped out of my vehicle before realising I was in reverse and my Jeep rolled back about 20 feet and the rear end of my vehicle collided with the font end of my neighbours truck causing some damage. * See image

I called the police to report my accident. They arrived, found the other party, took my report and both of our documentation. We are both insured, so his vehicle will be repaired.

This neighbour, who is a young guy, seemed to be handling the situation graciously, and expressed appreciation for my having taken ownership of the damage. My vehicle hasn't a scratch and there were no witnesses, so I could have walked away and left the guy hanging.

Well tonight, I heard this guy talking with a friend outside my window about how he was thinking about suing me.

I think he sees an opportunity to make a quick buck.

This guy was not in or anywhere near his vehicle when I damaged his truck, nor was anyone else, so there's no chance in hell he'll get a personal injury claim. The damage requires replacing one piece of the truck's body over the left tire well which I have been told by a mechanic friend will cost less than five hundred dollars parts and labour.

His truck is completely roadworthy even with the damage, which is entirely cosmetic.

So what does he think he'd be suing me for? Emotional stress? Inconvenience?

Should I get my lawyer on this, and prepare for what may have only been a lot of hot air, or wait and leave it to the insurance company for now?

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5571/damagedtruck.jpgWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

If he sues (which would be stupid), your insurance company will defend you. He probably won't sue, because he has no reason to, your insurance is going to pay for his damage. I would forget you heard anything.

justalayman

The damage requires replacing one piece of the truck's body over the left tire well which I have been told by a mechanic friend will cost less than five hundred dollars parts and labour.
there is more than that but he still has no reason to sue as long as you pay for the actual damages. as ecmst12 said, don't worry about it until it happens. I doubt it will.

JulianB

.there is more than that but he still has no reason to sue as long as you pay for the actual damages. as ecmst12 said, don't worry about it until it happens. I doubt it will.

I only meant to assert that all damage caused by me was confined to the left wheel-well panel, and any repairs for which I am responsible, are limited to that area. There were 'imperfections' in the general area of the collision prior to the collision.

Actually I am glad I overheard the devious conversation, because I had been feeling guilty, losing sleep, and really stressed-out. Thanks to this guy plotting to shaft me, I am now in self-defence mode and worrying only about my own interests. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be a nice guy. No wonder so many people walk-away from their responsibilities when causing damage to other people's property when they can. But I wouldn't have done things any differently. I take pride in not being a scum-bag. :)

Thanks to you and ecmst12 for the replies. I feel a little comforted and reassured. But I'm ready for any contingency.

Best regards,

JB

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">