• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why is my lawyer giving me a W-9 for an insurance claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abstractran

California-

I used a lawyer to help me settle an auto insurance claim. The lawyer took her 20% cut of the insurance claim which was under $2000. Why did she make me fill out a W-9 form?

davidmcbeth3

The client or company will use the information collected on the W-9, or substitute W-9, to produce a Form 1099 which details the earnings that the independent contractor received from that client that tax year. The Form 1099 is sent to both the independent contractor and the IRS; some states may also require a separate mailing of the 1099 as well.

Looks like you may have some taxable money coming to you .. you will have to pay taxes --- at least thats what your attny thinks. Did you ask about the tax implications with the settlement? This vary by settlement terms. Some settlements can be taxable , others not. Impossible to say from here -- you can contact an accountant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">