• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School contract.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

markbowman3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia
My question is on a school contract.
I started school at a community college in the fall of 2009. Just before the beginning of the next semester I was injured. Under the influence of prescribed narcotics I withdrew from my classes except for one. I was unaware that I had not dropped them all. I have contacted the school and explained what had happened but they still gave me a failing grade. What can I do about this if anything? My GPA has gone from a 4.0 to a 2.66.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Mass_Shyster

Being under the influence of prescription narcotics may be a defense that you were incompetent to enter into a contract. It does nothing to help you in this situation. You did not complete the class, so you failed. That's not a breach of contract on the part of the school, so you have no legal recourse.

If failing one class brought your GPA from a 4.0 to a 2.6, that means you've only completed two classes, and failed one.

Often times a school will drop the lower grade if you retake the class. If you take five more classes and maintain your 4.0 in those classes, your overall GPA will still be 3.5.

If that's unacceptable, transfer to another school. Generally, your credits will transfer, but your grades will not. Your GPA will be based on your grades at the new school.

Dave1952

Who did you contact at the school? You should start with your adviser, then your chairman (if you have a major ), then the dean of frosh, then the dean of studs, et c.
This sounds like a no-brainer. This should be easily resolved

Good luck

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia
My question is on a school contract.
I started school at a community college in the fall of 2009. Just before the beginning of the next semester I was injured. Under the influence of prescribed narcotics I withdrew from my classes except for one. I was unaware that I had not dropped them all. I have contacted the school and explained what had happened but they still gave me a failing grade. What can I do about this if anything? My GPA has gone from a 4.0 to a 2.66.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
Since OP is posting here, I can only assume he is considering pursuing legal action to recover some perceived damages as a result of the drastic drop in his GPA from this situation.

OP states that he withdrew from all of his classes, but was "unaware" that he had overlooked one of them. The result was that the class that he forgot to drop ended up issuing a failing grade because he never attended the class.

I do not see how the school is in any way liable for OP's negligence and failure to submit the proper paperwork to drop ALL of his classes as he had assumed he did. That would be 100% on the OP, and his failing grade and significantly lower GPA is entirely his own fault. HE overlooked the class that remained active on the school's registration records. The school is not liable for OP's negligence here. Whether or not OP was under the influence of narcotics (prescribed or otherwise) shouldn't have any bearing on the situation here.

xylene

Fortunately for the poster Ayn Rand isn't in charge at most places of higher learning

I do not see how the school is in any way liable for OP's negligence and failure to submit the proper paperwork to drop ALL of his classes as he had assumed he did. That would be 100% on the OP, and his failing grade and significantly lower GPA is entirely his own fault. HE overlooked the class that remained active on the school's registration records. The school is not liable for OP's negligence here.
The poster should first consult with the school ombudsman before simply accepting this level of personal blame for others JOBS as unchangeable fact.

The registrars office has very clear responsibilities to the students, especially a student who is taking a leave and withdrawing from the school for semester for medical reasons.

This student does not deserve this however unintentional kick in the teeth.

It is not all on the student. The registrars office AND the students adviser or whomever would have had to sign or approve her add/drop forms made mistakes in not ensuring her clear intent (to withdraw for medical reasons) matched her enrollment. "Well sister you did it wrong." is not sufficient. Multiple layers of bureaucratic protections failed this student - they failed the person they had responsibility for, which means they have responsibility for the consequences.

This does not mean a financial windfall, but the office of the ombudsman should be able to rectify the GPA which is most likely non-consequential to the school but devastating to the student.

markbowman3

Actually I am not trying to do anything other than receive an opportunity to retake the class at this school. My injuries required two spinal fusions, one in my neck and one in my lower back. For several months I couldn’t hold anything in my hands. I was told by the professor that I would receive an incomplete until I could complete the work; if completed by the end of the next semester or withdraw from the class. I told him that I had called the school and requested being dropped from all of the classes but for some reason one was not dropped. So in a panic, I did try to complete the class but it was impossible to do because I couldn’t hold the book up to read it while laying in the bed recovering. All I want is a second chance and all I was looking for in coming to this site was some advice. I always thought that lawyers gathered facts before they make their case. @ Steve

xylene

Actually I am not trying to do anything other than receive an opportunity to retake the class at this school. My injuries required two spinal fusions, one in my neck and one in my lower back. For several months I couldn’t hold anything in my hands. I was told by the professor that I would receive an incomplete until I could complete the work; if completed by the end of the next semester or withdraw from the class. I told him that I had called the school and requested being dropped from all of the classes but for some reason one was not dropped. So in a panic, I did try to complete the class but it was impossible to do because I couldn’t hold the book up to read it while laying in the bed recovering. All I want is a second chance and all I was looking for in coming to this site was some advice. I always thought that lawyers gathered facts before they make their case. @ Steve
Mark, you need to work the process with the registrars office and the school ombudsman. If your school does not have an office of the ombudsman, contact the office of the chancellor / provost / or president as applicable to your school.

There is nothing to get too upset about. It is a minor error of registration in your withdrawal that can be fixed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">