• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell phone ticket in NY state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lyss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

On my way to work this morning, I was singing along with the radio, scratched my ear, and got a ticket for being on my cell phone.

Now, my boss had called me while I was pulled over, at 9:56 am. Which the cop heard, from my purse on the floor. My ticket has a time stamp of 10:07am.

Is this fightable?

You Are Guilty

Anything is "fightable". As to whether you have a shot of prevailing, I'd guess 50-50 at best. Bring your cell phone records (showing specific times of all calls) to the court date and practice crossing your fingers.

davidmcbeth3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

On my way to work this morning, I was singing along with the radio, scratched my ear, and got a ticket for being on my cell phone.

Now, my boss had called me while I was pulled over, at 9:56 am. Which the cop heard, from my purse on the floor. My ticket has a time stamp of 10:07am.

Is this fightable?

If you boss called you after you were pulled over but before the cop got to your car ... then you likely will not win. Its just too questionable.

You Are Guilty

Well, if this was his basis of giving you the ticket them he should be admonished by the court. I would call the DA and have this dropped.
:confused:

Why stop there? I would call the President and get a pardon.

Then I would call the Exhalted Grand High Poobah of the Necronius Galaxy, and have the cop vaporized by a particle beam.

davidmcbeth3

:confused:

Why stop there? I would call the President and get a pardon.

Then I would call the Exhalted Grand High Poobah of the Necronius Galaxy, and have the cop vaporized by a particle beam.
A DA should not prosecute a case knowing that the facts do not support the claim. I know, its hard to expect attorneys to follow their ethical obligations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">