• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inquiry about a contract without start/end date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

superyyzg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
pennsylvania

I signed a contract with my boss. The contract was in electronic form (I signed it, then scanned it and sent to my boss via email). The contract says that if I leave for other places before the term (a 1 year term), I need to pay back ten thousand dollars. However, the contract doesn't specify the start date and end date of the 1 year term.

I lost the original paper copy of the contract, I also lost the email that I sent to my boss with the scanned contract. I have the scanned contract now in pdf format, with my signature (without date).

I sincerely need help on that, is this contract valid? If valid, what should the beginning and ending of the term?
Many thanks!

antrc170

The beginning date would be the date that you signed the contract unless one is specifically stated. If you don't know the date you signed it I suggest find the last modified date on the pdf file and going from there unless you have altered the file since you signed the contract.

superyyzg

The beginning date would be the date that you signed the contract unless one is specifically stated. If you don't know the date you signed it I suggest find the last modified date on the pdf file and going from there unless you have altered the file since you signed the contract.
Thanks! I can find the date when the pdf is created\last modified. Is this date legally binding?

superyyzg

Hi, I am sure about the date when the contract is signed. Also, in the signature section of the contract there is blank for my signature, but no blank for the signature of my boss (actually I emailed the scanned contract to him without his signature).

I really appreciate it if some one can tell me that if the start date of the one-year term is not specified in the contract, then it should be the date when I signed it. Also in this case, apart from the start date of the contract, I also wonder if the contract is valid. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">