• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays to move inherited property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

user16394

Pennsylvania.
My aunt died a few months ago, and I am a named beneficiary in the will. My sister inherited my aunt's furniture and had it moved to her house, which is about 150 miles, and which cost $2,000 to move. (The furniture and other personal effects were appraised at $550.) Who should pay?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

user16394

I appreciate your response.

Do you know what the actual law is regarding this? I'd like to know as much as possible about this.

justalayman

I can't think of any particular law that would control it. Basically, the will assigns distribution of property. What the person does with that property once it become theirs is completely up to them. There is no reason an estate would or should be required to deliver property to the heir. If they want it, they can come and get it. If they don't, then they abandon it.

there is just no justification for claiming the estate is liable for delivery costs.

user16394

What if the executor (who is not a lawyer but has access to counsel) is a brother to the sister that inherits the furniture, and simply decides that the estate will pay for the move? Of course, it seems silly to pay $2,000 to move $550 of goods (appraised before the move), since it was not a wealthy estate, and it seems he (the executor) is doing a disservice to the beneficiaries, who would otherwise spilt this $2,000.

justalayman

the exec does have a wide latitude to act on behalf of the estate BUT if those concerned do not agree with the actions the exec is taking, they do have the right to contest those actions.

I would believe the actions of the exec in this case would be improper.

with that, you are getting into specifics beyond my knowledge. There are a couple folks that post on this forum that are pretty good with probate and estates. Hopefully they will catch this thread and continue on.

curb1

This seems phony. How could it possibly cost $2,000 to move $550 worth the furniture only 150 miles away? A large U-Haul truck (one way) would cost less than $200 and take less than a day.. $550 worth the furniture is equivalent to one used 50" TV. Someone is trying to scam somebody.

Last edited:

n78949

If the beneficiary abandons his/her bequest, what should an executor do to protect him/herself from future problems if, at a later date, the beneficiary claims he/she didn't abandon the bequest?

anteater

If the beneficiary abandons his/her bequest, what should an executor do to protect him/herself from future problems if, at a later date, the beneficiary claims he/she didn't abandon the bequest?
Please don't hijack a thread. Create a new thread.

(And, when you do that, you might want to explain a bit more about the situation - like what you mean by "abandon.")

n78949

Sorry. I didn't think I was hijacking the thread; I was asking a follow-on to justalayman's comment about abandonment.

anteater

Sorry. I didn't think I was hijacking the thread; I was asking a follow-on to justalayman's comment about abandonment.
Sorry, I didn't catch the connection.

Just to throw in my two cents on the original question... I believe that the executor is justified in using estate funds to deliver the property to the sister. (Whether it was a reasonable amount, I'll pass.) Of course, a well-written will would have included a provision covering that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">