• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Locking the barn door before the horse is stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

n78949

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I have a will, a living trust. and, I think its called, a contingent power of attorney in case of incapacity.

If, at some point, I should be declared legally incompetent, can the person designated with my PoA, change the terms of my Will and or Trust? If that is possible, what steps can I take now to forestall that ever happening?

I am concerned that my well reasoned and thought out estate plan might be subverted as a get older and start to decline. I understand there is no perfect solution. I am interested in practical ideas.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

anteater

I can't speak to Indiana specifically, but, generally, an agent would not have the power to revise a will or trust unless specifically granted that power.

You could always revoke the existing POA document and write an new one explicitly denying that power to the agent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">