• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother charging Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sharon150

What is the name of your state (Kentucky)?
Brother is charging Estate for work done. My Brother is 1 of 3 Beneficiaries in my Mother Will. Everyone had work at the house & selling off personal items, cleaning, mowing & upkeep. He is the only one charging for his work, it is $14,000.00, he his claiming hrs-that he was there and saying it took 2 days & 9 hrs each day to mow,but it only takes 3 hrs 1 day, plus charging gas for driving, also claiming up to 11 hrs of work in one day. There is no one to prove he did this or was even there the days he says. He has now hired a lawyer & charging the Estate for the Fees. Is this extortion. He also owes the Estate himself of $4000.00

Last edited:

anteater

What is the name of your state (Kentucky)?
Is this extortion.
No, it isn't extortion.

Who is the estate's personal representative? That is who should be evaluating the claim and either denying or allowing the claim. And should be pursuing whatever the brother owes to the estate.

Sharon150

Brother Charging estate.

My Daughter is Executor. She did not ask him to do or hire him to do work. She said he did not do anymore than the rest of us and hours he put down were not actual work and the only work she knows of is just a few things. $14,000.00 worth of work, in my opinion means that house should be in great condition, but I went down last week and cleaned cobwebs that had been there for awhile, also he says he powerwashed the siding which had green stains left after my newphew removed old shrubs. I check it the green is still there, it also has cobwebs so bad and it is looks like it never has been touch at all.

Dave1952

He worked 2 days? That's 48 hrs at most but let's call it 50 hrs. That comes out to $280/hr. Actually a lot more than that since he probably did not work throughout the 2 days. Does he make that kind of money in real life? If not he needs to be laughed at. Can't see how this is a debt of the estate unless the executor hired him.
Don't understand why he wishes to have the estate pay for a lawyer that the estate did not hire. What does that lawyer say about this?
No it's not extortion, just greed and stupidity

Good luck

Sharon150

Brother Charging estate.

Actually he doesn't work. When he does work it is long enough to quit and draw unemployment. Sometimes he gets fired. He is 53 and has never held job long enough, maybe the most is 1 year. Him and is wife also the same have spent 23 years together trying to figure what they can get for free. I find out that since they were not married until last year, it was for tax reasons. so she could claim head of household, claiming her granddaughte, which lives on Welfare with her Mother, which his wife his wife set up for them. They brother have drug abuse use, and never had told a truth, and twist peoples words around to cause trouble within the family. They have never put that much work in that house and every family member has worked, even one that do not get anything.

anteater

OK, but all that is irrelevant.

Your daughter is the personal representative and one of her tasks is to deal with claims against the estate. If this is a "garbage" claim, then she needs to reject it and see where the brother goes with it.

If she has retained an attorney to represent her as personal representative, then she should be conferring with him/her. If she has not retained an attorney, she should start considering it.

The KY statutes dealing with claims are here:

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/396-00/CHAPTER.HTM

Sharon150

She does have a lawyer. Mother had died June 2007, and it was last year that the firat thing my brother did was demand not ask for renter's for finding someone to rent the house through the winter of $1000.00 and was told no. Because my daughter said she could do that on her on and saidshe would found the next renter for the winter, he wrote a letter to say it wanted to know who was rented and how they were found. He also said he wanted to sign a waiver so as he would not be sued if anything was to happen. That is one of the ways he and his wife twist things around. They think they are in charge of the estate and his wife is always saying she is protecting his Inhertiance, but no on is trying to take his away anything. They are the ones trying to take things away. It was just this Aug they came up with the work of 14k. They do have greed, because we do have the house on the market at $39800.00, whIch they say it is worth $185K. so they think the house should be rented until the market turns around. That will no happen. The house is over 50 yrs old and needs work. The money for renting is what was accumalated from rentin & just happens to be the same amount the are asking for. My Daughter and her Lawyer and them and their lawyer are meeting in my Daughter's lawyer's office instead of going to court & their lawyer is retired so he doesn't have an office. When this came up for the money we asked them to meet with the estate lawyer and said no, that would cost money. I'm not sure how they feel knowing it is now happening. Last year they had called him to ask him for money and that when it told them to come up with reciept and ect. to prove their work. The Lawyer told my Daughter houw unprofessional they were, he was talking to my Brother's not then wife and my brother was in the background screaming out what to say to layer. so he has an idea what they are like.

Sharon150

I do thank you so much, you have proven with info you have given me is exactly what I have been saying. My Brother has been like this his entire life. He has stolen from my Mother and when she needed help to do the things she couldn't, he wouldn't, so if she had the money she would have to hire someone. When she was real or went into the Hospital, even though he wasn't working he would not even visit. One time after she had just gotten a kidney taken out because of cancer, the Doctors just told me and my daughter she also had lung cancer. I was there visting her, which I always stayed late into the evenings with her, so I had my visit without anyone there, but her and me, he called and was drunk, she was still very sick, he ask her if she had her will and wanted to know what it said and who got what. She was just devastated. When my Father had passed away 7 yrs earlier he would come into her home and just take tools and things, when my Mother was in the Hospital. When she had gotten better, she went to visit him and she had told me that it just made her so sick to see the all things he stolen from her. I was always close with my parents and never once did I try do anything to hurt them, I am happy with what they left me and what I get I will be happy. They did not have to leave us anything. My Brother and I are totally different. My Daughter are grown thoughtful, kind and beautiful. My Brother and his wife have raised thier kids to where they cheat and still from others. It is sad. My Father could never understand what he did wrong to have a son, that cared only of himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">