• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had an Accident on an MD highway, I'm the only party involved (well, not really)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zetsui

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
Hi I am a 22 year old with a spotless record on driving.
First off I want to say that I am not only set on becoming a lawyer, having taken my LSAT less than a week after this accident (a career that requires a healthy traffic record), but I am also involved in a current career track as a financial analyst for public parties that requires a healthy record.
On the whole I've been shook up by the incident, seen how cruel the world really is, and just want this to get over

So while driving on 95-N one morning, when the road was slick due to the morning due/rain from the night before, I had a white male, around my age, black BMW cut me off out of the blue. Maryland has a huge problem with aggressive drivers, and I reacted calmly, by just letting him pass. But this guy was INSANE. He flashed me, came right in front of me, and then BRAKED! Mind you this is a four lane highway. Anyways he does this again, where I'm in the rightmost/slowest lane, and he comes up from about a quarter mile right before the exit and cuts me off to go to the same exit I am taking.

Anyways this exit is barely a curve, but for about 2 seconds I took my eyes off the road, and focused on him, but the time I realized that I was veering off the road (since its curved), I jerked my wheel the the right and lost control, spinning right, braking and then spinning left and into the bushes, scatching a tree barely. Anyways 90% of my damage was to the passenger door, the engine, my driver door, the two back doors and the read were all fine, but since the frame by the passenger side door was damaged it was declared total.

What really bugged me was I got two tickets from the cop, who didn't seem to give a damn about the BMW since I hadn't come into contact with him.
I got a fialure to control vehicle speed 21-801(b) and a 21-901.1(b) negligent driving the first for $130, and the second for $140. From what I understand of MD state only the second gives me points, and that too only one point. Considering the price of these tickets and the possible impact on my future as a contractor/lawyer I wanted to know about what consequences I am looking at as far as points, possible license suspension, criminal consequences (none on the latter from what I understand) I am looking at how much (cause I am young and clueless about these matters)
would a lawyer for susch an incident would go around.

Just trying to calculate the cost-benefit analysis of using what little money a recent college grad has to see whether its worth getting a lawyer.

This is just heartbreaking, but the lesson I learned from this experience was noone carese about you. As I crashed on the side of the road, that BMW driver who saw me crash just kept going.

*Also a point to give, I did not revolve or spin out I skidded side to side, once on each side. I don't remember the incident too well and supressed it due to the pressure of having to take my lsat. Honestly I'm looking for the quickest solution so that I could get back to law school applications!

Last edited:

Dave1952

You lost me. Why do you think that a couple of traffic tickets will prevent you from getting good scores on the LSATs, or getting into law school, or passing the bar.
The quickest solution is to pay your tickets. Expect these tickets to include various fees as well as the fines. And a point may affect your insurance rates for a few years (2 or 3).
While your story is interesting is it supported by any facts? A license plate number?
If you must spend the money for peace of mind buy an hour's worth of a lawyer's time.

Good luck

cyjeff

The reason the officer didn't believe you is that the only excuse used more often that "some insane guy cut me off" is "a deer jumped out".

In other words, you weren't believed.

A traffic accident will not impact your future whatsoever unless it betrays a habitual pattern.

zetsui

Yeah sorry about all the thoughts and incoherent paragraphs. I read that and definitely did not get the future lawyer feel!
Dave I am a damn safe driver and unlike a lot of other 22 year old, since my job requires a squeaky clean background I do not even pick up a cell phone let a lone a pen to write down aggressive drivers license plate numbers.

The only confusion I have is with those two tickets I received. At the accident scene I was under the impression I only got one which I would fight for scraping the side of a tree, which was public property. When I called me insurance carrier they said I was charged for wreckless driving (6points-going over 75mph on a highway, which is INSANE, it was raining, I'm not a pscho):eek: although the ticket says negligetn driving and has the appropriate fee. I guess I will have to call up Geico and tell them not to put all those points on

cyjeff

Yeah sorry about all the thoughts and incoherent paragraphs. I read that and definitely did not get the future lawyer feel!
Dave I am a damn safe driver and unlike a lot of other 22 year old, since my job requires a squeaky clean background I do not even pick up a cell phone let a lone a pen to write down aggressive drivers license plate numbers.

The only confusion I have is with those two tickets I received. At the accident scene I was under the impression I only got one which I would fight for scraping the side of a tree, which was public property. When I called me insurance carrier they said I was charged for wreckless driving (6points-going over 75mph on a highway, which is INSANE, it was raining, I'm not a pscho):eek: although the ticket says negligetn driving and has the appropriate fee. I guess I will have to call up Geico and tell them not to put all those points on
GEICO doesn't put point on or off your license. The state does. Further, while the tree is public property, you have no more "right" to destroy or damage it than you would the public property of a road sign.

The reckless driving charge resulted because you were driving at a speed where, when you swerved, you ended up down the embankment against a tree.

Most courts would agree that meant you were moving too fast to act properly in case of an accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">