• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant on wife..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcherry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Just a little background of our situation: My wife and I live in Tennessee with 4 children. 2 are hers by a previous marriage and 2 are mine by a previous marriage. I am in the military and am facing a deployment in 2011. I was married 7 September of this year and knew about my wife's issues in her past, which was all brought on by her ex husband. She was a victim of abuse and has a stack of protection orders against her former husband. Her ex was and still is a heavy drug user and has been in and out of jail his whole life. I am a law abiding citizen and have never been in trouble with the law. My wife is a sweet woman who may have had some trouble in the past but is just trying to put her ex husband and her past behind her. She does not use drugs, drink, or break the law in any way. She is a great wife and mother, and our whole life was turned upside down today.

We recieved word today that police in Chicago were looking for my wife and had a warrant for her arrest. I contacted a friend who is a State Trooper. He pulled her record and it showed she had a FTA for posession of a stolen auto with a $75,000 bond. This incident happened 3 years ago and my wife had thought the issue had been resolved. Her ex husband had stolen the vehicle and told her he was borrowing the car from a friend for a while. She was pulled over in this vehicle but gave investigators information on this case and was told she was clear.

She then left Chicago to get away from her ex husband and moved to North Carolina. He soon followed and the abuse continued. She then moved back to her home state of Tennessee January of this year and we met. Now this warrant has baffled the both of us. We can't seem to get any information other than what I posted. We did the right thing and she turned herself in to the Sherriff's Department today. The Sherriff is also my friend and he assured me he would put her in the medical cell so that she wouldn't be in the general population. But no one could tell me what is going on! She is facing extradition to Illinois and I am not sure how the heck I will be able to help her from here. I don't have the money to hire a lawyer and don't know what I am going to do if she faces time.

My question is this... How much time are we looking at should they convict her? Does she have any kind of case here? I know this is difficult to tell with limited information. I am worried, distressed, and lost.

Just Blue

He pulled her record and it showed she had a FTA for posession of a stolen auto with a $75,000 bond. This incident happened 3 years ago and my wife had thought the issue had been resolved. Her ex husband had stolen the vehicle and told her he was borrowing the car from a friend for a while. She was pulled over in this vehicle but gave investigators information on this case and was told she was clear.
I hate to tell you this but your wife is lying to you.

CdwJava

If she had an FTA it was because she failed to appear (the FTA) for a court hearing. Perhaps she had moved away and was never notified, but now she'll have to go back and deal with it.

When she gets back there she will get a court appointed attorney if she cannot afford one. If she asks and that attorney agrees, maybe he can update you on what's going on. Otherwise, you may have to play phone tag from the community phone at the jail.

RoyLDenton

My life expierence advice is this: Stand up, walk to a mirror, look into that mirror and the first thing you see...slap it up side the head and WAKE UP.

What would Roy do?

Roy would claim any protection I had under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. As for the lady, well...:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">