• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

240.20 sub 7

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slaveunit

I was in new york city on the first day of our vacation from virginia. I made a right turn on a red light, got stopped. I honestly was not aware that that was illegal. There were 5 adults and 1 child sitting on 1 of the adult's lap. I have a clean driving record.

The cop gave me a summons for a 240.20 -7 not mentioning the traffic violation.

1. Do I need to appear in court?
2. Was he letting me slide on the traffic violation?
3. Will this appear on my driving/criminal record?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Occultist

Wow, that section really does seem to have nothing at all to do with your violation. Did the officer mention anything in that regard at all?

slaveunit

Wow, that section really does seem to have nothing at all to do with your violation. Did the officer mention anything in that regard at all?
I told the cop that I was real sorry and that I am from Virginia, I did not know (about the right turn law) and I just arrived NYC for a vacation. He said, "Yea, but you also have a passenger not wearing his seatbelt" (there were 6 of us and it was a 5-passenger car). He handed me the ticket and before I could understand what was on the ticket, he left already.

Needless to say that ticket was a thorn in my spine during our vacation. 'should've just taken a cab.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">