• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

assault by roommate. lease termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WeightLifter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX (Houston)

long story short, i was assaulted by my roommate. proof is a black eye.

Texas Property Code - Section 92.016. Right To Vacate And Avoid Liability Following Family Violence - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

would the "family law" clause allow me to terminate my lease and move to another complex? the front office gave me a couple of options:

1) i transfer to a 1 bedroom and pay 1440 a month for rent, he agrees / signs off and moves out removing his name off lease
2) he finds a new roommate, i move out of the complex. new roommate moves in adds his name to the lease. he still has to agree / sign off

my rent now is 850 (1/2 1700) + 1/2 other stuff (cable, electric, util) - probably 1,000 total. i can afford, but feel like i'm being forced to remain here if he can't find a roommate. i'm pretty sure i can find another property that has lease agreements for around 1200 a month (hey, 240 saved is 240 saved) which would better suit me.

can i hire a lawyer and invoke Section 92.016 for fear of my safety? he has a glock pistol and a shotgun in his room. i've filed a police report (they don't know of the weapons) to have it documented for the apartment complex

i've known the guy since elementary school, so i'm not trying to completely screw his world up, get him thrown in jail, press charges, and have his record tainted. i just want to completely end the friendship and walk away.

thanks

Dave1952

If you obtain the necessary court order you may be removed from the lease. There's no guarantee that a judge will grant such an order, though.
Why don't you help find a new room mate and then move? That's what the landlord wants.

Good luck

WeightLifter

If you obtain the necessary court order you may be removed from the lease. There's no guarantee that a judge will grant such an order, though.
Why don't you help find a new room mate and then move? That's what the landlord wants.

Good luck
problem solved for the most part

he's agreed to move out. i'm transferring to a 1 bedroom. not returning his half of this month's rent or any bills / deposit. having to pay more for rent in a one bedroom while he gets off the lease for free and not pressing charges justifies this i believe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">