• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with Dog Breeder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KPHelp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I took in a 2 year old purebreed back in May that was owned by a friend of a friend who was going through a divorce. The dog was being kept my the x-husband and was being starved and neglected. The animal also showed signs of being abused. This being the case I took the dog in. Took him to the vet had him checked, wormed and vaccinated. The dog is now in top condition and is very, very well treated. The former owner gave me the AKC papers as the dog was never registered. I registered the dog today. My friend contacted the breeder and told him the case and that I registered the dog and that I was taking very good care of the dog and he's seen pictures of the dog. The breeder is saying the former owner had a contract saying the dog should have come back to him in the event she could not keep the dog. This dog was sold once to someone, returned and then sold again to the former owner at the age of six months. Three things, I have put time and money into this dog and am very attached to the animal. Also I concerned that the breeder seems more concerned about making money than the well being of the dog. What are my options for keeping this dog if the former owner did sign the contract, she claims not to have done so. I don't want to give up my dog and am willing to take what ever legal action I can. I don't intend on breeding the animal, selling it. I took the dog in for it's well being. What are my options to keep the dog if breeder will not work with me on keeping the dog?

Regards,
:confused:

cyjeff

That clause is not at all unusual in the purchase contract.

Ask the breeder for the value of the dog and pay him for your new pet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">