• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where's the money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ranyw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My aunt's husband recently passed away. He suffered from Alzheimer's and dementia. Unfortunately they didn't have an attorney or any type of formal estate planning. My aunt claims that her late husband told her that he had a great deal of money tucked away, but unfortunately after the Alzheimer's he couldn't explain where the money was? To make matters even more complicated they have moved multiple times since his illness set in. I have checked our state's unclaimed property website, but nothing showed up. Should I recommend that she hire a Asset search company ?

Any advice would be appreciated....
:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

As Dr. House says, "Everybody lies."

Realistically, what kind of advice do you think that strangers can provide?

If there are no account statements, nothing indicated on tax returns, no areas in the backyard indicating digging, etc., Occam's Razor says that Dr. House is likely correct.

nextwife

Aunt should not have abdicated all responsibility for her financial future to someone else. Had she been more involved, she might have a clue if they had assets and where they are. Did she never see envelopes in the mail from this or that brokerage firm, bank, mutual fund company, annuity holder, insurance company, anything? Did she live in the same house and never even see mail come into the house?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">