• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

power outage destroyed appliances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brockster

About a week ago a transformer blew in our neighborhood and the power went out for the whole block(8 houses in all). When the power came back on it was pulsing on and off quickly. The power company technicians came out and turned the power off due to smoke coming out of various appliances from others in the neighborhood. The next day when I checked my appliances many didn't work including my dell desk top and a digital converter. At least four of my neighbors have also had appliances that have failed do to the power issue. I contacted the power company. They responded that because the problem was due to circumstances beyond their control they will not be able to compensate me. My question is what recourse I have to be compensated by the power company

justalayman

My question is what recourse I have to be compensated by the power company

To be able to prevail, you will have to prove something they did or had control over caused your damages. Any idea what caused the pulsation? The on off situation would not have caused damage. There are only a couple things that would cause damage and unless you can show those things did in fact take place, you will not prevail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">