• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ventguy67

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My divorce decree states that I must pay alimony for 48 months. It states that this may be terminated if my ex cohabitates with another man for 90 days. She lives out of state so I have to take her word for it. My 20 year old daughter has infomred me that my ex wifes boyfriend moved in with her more than three months ago and she asked my daughter not to tell me about it. Can I just stop paying now based on this info? My daughter and her boyfriend said they are both willing to testify in my behalf if my ex chosses to fight it.

Proserpina

My divorce decree states that I must pay alimony for 48 months. It states that this may be terminated if my ex cohabitates with another man for 90 days. She lives out of state so I have to take her word for it. My 20 year old daughter has infomred me that my ex wifes boyfriend moved in with her more than three months ago and she asked my daughter not to tell me about it. Can I just stop paying now based on this info? My daughter and her boyfriend said they are both willing to testify in my behalf if my ex chosses to fight it.

Whatever you do, don't stop paying unless you're actually given permission to do so by the court.

You can go back to court to request support be stopped based upon this change of circumstance. Expect your ex to fight it. If it's her word against your daughter's word, you'll need proof...such as the boyfriend having his address formally changed to that of your ex, things like that.

LdiJ

In addition to what Properpina said....

How much longer do you have to go on the 48 months?..and how much a month do you have to pay?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">