• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TracyG59

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I filed for divorce in March, I live in California and he lives in Mexico, sent papers certified mail, his father signed, he never responded, he is remarrid 6 months after we split, no children, no property, it has been sent back from the clerk 3 times saying need respondant signature. I have no contact, I cant go to mexico and force him to sign, what happens now? How do I procede from here?

mistoffolees

I filed for divorce in March, I live in California and he lives in Mexico, sent papers certified mail, his father signed, he never responded, he is remarrid 6 months after we split, no children, no property, it has been sent back from the clerk 3 times saying need respondant signature. I have no contact, I cant go to mexico and force him to sign, what happens now? How do I procede from here?
You'll probably need an attorney.

TracyG59

response

His father signed the certified mail return reciept. He and I texted via face book and he knew papers were coming, it was filed each and everytime the clerk kicks the papers back, as well as proof it was sent regular mail. I had my papers done through a legal document place so they are all in order.

Jnzy111

I've seen petition for divorce notices posted at the courts when I have filed a few papers for evictions.

Seems like you can post the notice at the courts and if he doesn't respond within a certain time frame, you might be ok.

You may want to double check though...

--Mike

mistoffolees

I've seen petition for divorce notices posted at the courts when I have filed a few papers for evictions.

Seems like you can post the notice at the courts and if he doesn't respond within a certain time frame, you might be ok.

You may want to double check though...

--Mike
You can't just do that. Divorce by publication has to be done the right way - and generally needs an attorney.

LdiJ

Perhaps you have filled out the wrong kind of paperwork. Perhaps you have filled out the paperwork for an agreed divorce, which WOULD require his signature, rather than the paperwork for a divorce that is not agree, which would only require you serving him.

One of your local courthouses will have a self help center or a family law facilitator's office. Go see them and see if perhaps that is what the problem is.

CourtClerk

Perhaps you have filled out the wrong kind of paperwork. Perhaps you have filled out the paperwork for an agreed divorce,
Ummm no....

1. There's no such thing as an "agreed divorce," however, if what you are referring to is a summary dissolution, his signature would have needed to be on the petition BEFORE it was filed.

Now, let's talk about WHY it was rejected. In rereading the post, OP... his DAD signed the certified mail receipt. He was never served.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">