• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother Administrator

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeTodd

What is the name of your state (NJ)?

My father died in testate. My brother appointed himself the administrator and I went along. He made an offer for my father's truck 9/,26/2010 I countered on 9/27/2010. I called the lawyer's office on 10/8/2010 and 10/14/2010 and asked for a call back regarding my counter proposal. The lawyer has not called back. Would it help if I went to the lawyers office and requested an appointment? My brother and I do not have a relationship. I've tried but he's a bully. I don't have money for a lawyer and my thought is the lawyer works for me as an heir to my father's estate. So, he must respond to me and my requests for information. Any advice would be helpful.
Thank you,
Mike

anteater

You may have consented (or, at least, did not object) to your brother's appointment, but the Surrogate made the appointment.

...and my thought is the lawyer works for me as an heir to my father's estate. So, he must respond to me and my requests for information.
No, the attorney was retained by and works for your brother as the executor. If your brother has instructed the attorney not to communicate directly with the beneficiaries, the attorney should not and probably won't. But, you can always give the appointment a try.

I would suggest that you at least try to communicate with your brother. Think of it as a business relationship, not a personal one. If your brother can't remain civil, just calmly tell him that the Surrogate will have to decide and you will see him in court

MikeTodd

Thank you so much for your sound advice. I'm an out of work teacher in NJ and appreciate your time.

If I tell my brother a segregate will need to decide in court does this mean I'll need an attorney to go to court or can I question my brothers handling the estate myself in front of a judge. In addition, Since I'm out of work and only own a 2001 truck but receive unemployment which covers my rent and most of my bills would I qualify Pro Bono or don't they handle estates.

Thank you again for all your help.

Mike

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">