• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor holding onto my bedridden dad's inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LABelle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi everyone,

My bedridden dad received a large inheritance from his uncle that was put into an investment income fund and arranged so that he would automatically receive statements with a check for a small amount every month without having to do anything on his part. On this account, only my dad and his uncle (the one he received the inheritance from) were listed and the address was automatically changed to my dad's after his uncle passed.

Well, shortly after the executor found out about this account, she was somehow able to take over it and update the address on it to her own. About two months later, she contacted my dad and said that she needed to withdraw the money and put it into a brand new account. Not thinking anything of it, he agreed. Now she personally sends him his monthly check from her home and he does not receive any statements showing how much money is in the account or where this secret account is and whose name is on it. We are both a little worried because neither of us know her well, and he is not comfortable with her having lifelong access to all of his inheritance money.

Anyway, right now my dad just wants to put the money into his own account so that only he has access to it. Unfortunately, he can’t work up the courage to ask the executor because he believes that doing so might make things worse. So I am trying to get some information for him so that he can use to get this straightened out as soon as possible (it’s been about 6 months since he found out about his inheritance).

How does this look, and what should he do? Please help us!

justalayman

Unfortunately, he can’t work up the courage to ask the executor because he believes that doing so might make things worse.
well, if he can't ask her anything, all the advice in the world will be meaningless.

His first act would be to contact her and find out where the money is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">