• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domain Name Purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sraesla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have a domain name that I need to purchase and I have researched it and contacted the current owner of the domain name and we have gone back and forth over the last few weeks and finally both agreed upon a price. As soon as I replied back to her that her price was fine with me and that I proposed to pay half now and the remainder once the transfer was complete to ensure it was actually transferred (or try to) she replied back that she "forgot" she registered it for another year and it was now registered until Nov 2011 (actually the information pulled up from a whois search stated that it is registered until Sept 2011...) and that I need to pay her back for the registration so she upped her price once we had both agreed upon a different price (I have all of the emails that document we both agreed upon a certain price before she decided to raise it). Can she do that? Or do I have a right to get it for the original price we agreed upon?

Normally I wouldn't have a problem paying her back for the registration but in this case I do because I do not want to keep it registered with that company I want to transfer it to the one I currently use for my other domain name and I don't think she was very honest or responsible in not providing that information at the beginning. It's not a lot of money we are talking about here, but more the principle behind this practice. (We agreed on $60 for the domain name and then she came back and said that I have to pay her another $30 on top of that so basically changed the price to $90 after the fact)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, also I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area but this looked like the best option.

P.S. Don't know if it matters but I live in TX and the seller is in MN.

Mass_Shyster

You can certainly sue for specific performance (force her to sell as agreed) but I'm sure it will cost much more than $30 to do so.

You would also probably have to sue in a MN court. I couldn't quickly find if the MN conciliation court (their version of small claims) will allow you to sue for specific performance. If not, you will need to find out which is the appropriate court.

As I wrote, I doubt this would be worth the $30.

Kiawah

I think you are being ridiculous.

Who cares what domain name company it is with, it's totally transparent to any customer/user. There's no maintenance that needs to be done, it just sits there and works till the time period runs out. Let the term run out, and then transfer it to your other company at that time if you want. I just set mine to auto-renew, and never have to do anything but update the CC expiration date every 5 years or so.

They renewed the Domain Name registration, which is worth a year of service. Reimburse them for that fee, you get the benefit of that x years of renewal (however long it's renewed for).

If you really care about getting that domain name that you wanted, look past all of this very minor petty stuff. Otherwise, look for your 'deal' to fall thru and you not get the URL you want.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">