• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photographer's rights to photos that have been sold

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HenryTenby

I am a photographer of commercial aircraft and have been selling original Kodachrome slides to a friend of mine for a number of years. I have not been selling him the publication rights to the photos, rather, I have sold him the slides for his personal collection and enjoyment. There is a large community of worldwide collectors of original airline slides. My friend is now selling the slides which I took (that I sold to him years ago) at an online auction site called http://www.AirlineHobby.com for $10, $15 and over $20 US per slide. Although he paid me between $1 and $2 per slide over 10 years ago, I did not sell them to him with the intention that he would be selling them for profit to other collectors. My question is: do I have any legal rights to stop him from selling the slides that I sold him? What can I do to stop him? Is it within my rights as the original photographer of the slide to restrict his engaging in further commerce with my slides?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">