• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regarding Vehicle Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PAgurl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I'm not sure if I'm in the right area, but....
I'll try to give the abbreviated version of this...
I own multiple vehicles. All titled in my name. My live in boyfriend and i split up. He takes 3 of my vehicles. I ask for their return and he outright refuses. (Police, btw, will not get involved saying it's a civil matter) He disappears. 5 months after our split I find where one of the vehicles is parked and take it. (btw he finds out and calls me threatning me...police won't do anything) 18 months later I find his residence and the remaining 2 cars. Upon finding him I hire a repossesor and upon showing proof of ownership (PA titles) they go and pick up the 2 vehicles.
The ex-bf sends me multiple emails saying he is going to sue me. Claiming he purchased the vehicles, claiming he put money into them, etc, etc.

My question is whether he really has any claim to these vehicles? He only had them in his possession because he refused to return them. (Unfortunately I didn't know at the time to put these requests in writing or email so it was over the phone)

Any input or case references would be great! Thanks!

Antigone*

I own multiple vehicles. All titled in my name. My live in boyfriend and i split up. He takes 3 of my vehicles. I ask for their return and he outright refuses. (Police, btw, will not get involved saying it's a civil matter) He disappears. 5 months after our split I find where one of the vehicles is parked and take it. (btw he finds out and calls me threatning me...police won't do anything) 18 months later I find his residence and the remaining 2 cars. Upon finding him I hire a repossesor and upon showing proof of ownership (PA titles) they go and pick up the 2 vehicles.
The ex-bf sends me multiple emails saying he is going to sue me. Claiming he purchased the vehicles, claiming he put money into them, etc, etc.

My question is whether he really has any claim to these vehicles? He only had them in his possession because he refused to return them. (Unfortunately I didn't know at the time to put these requests in writing or email so it was over the phone)

Ignore the man, and if he calls tell him to pound sand.

sandyclaus

If the ex-boyfriend thinks he has a valid claim to the vehicles and wants to sue, let him.

He will need proof of purchase (bill of sale) and a copy of the title showing that he is the legal owner of the vehicle(s). He doesn't have those? Well, too bad for him. STRIKE ONE.

He claims he put money into the vehicles? Sure he did. He probably paid for gas, repairs and maintenance for the cars while he has them in his possession. Makes no difference - this would be considered the cost of using the vehicles, whether he owned them or not, he was still USING them. STRIKE TWO.

And STRIKE THREE would come when you would show the judge that you have the required ownership documentation and that the ex unreasonably withheld and hid the vehicles from you. I'm sure there is something that a judge would have to say about that. One thing would probably be JUDGMENT FOR DEFENDANT (You), and then you will have the pleasure of watching the ex fume as you walk out of courtroom savoring your victory.

PAgurl

Thanks so much for all your answers-

i don't know why I let him stress me out, but I do.

Do you think he could be awarded money for the alterations/repairs he did to them while they were in his possession? One vehicle he put quite a bit of money into raising it and putting big tires on (It's a truck) ...though I actually HATE it like this and will probably sell it. Ironic.

sandyclaus

Thanks so much for all your answers-

i don't know why I let him stress me out, but I do.

Do you think he could be awarded money for the alterations/repairs he did to them while they were in his possession? One vehicle he put quite a bit of money into raising it and putting big tires on (It's a truck) ...though I actually HATE it like this and will probably sell it. Ironic.
Very unlikely. Did he have your permission to make the alterations to the vehicle? No. I'm sure that had you known of his intent to do so before he did it, you would have told him as much. Heck, as you said so yourself, had you even known where the vehicles were in the first place, you would have repossessed them sooner, and he wouldn't have had opportunity to even start altering them.

As far as repairs and maintenance, a judge would probably see those as a foreseeable cost to operating the vehicles. You never asked him to repair the vehicles, and he did not have your permission to use the vehicles any longer. It could be considered expenses he never would have incurred had he returned the vehicles to their rightful owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">