• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are chances of being found?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecs

This happened in Florida. I am posting this for someone who is not computer literate. I am the poster and typist. Here goes:

This person was arrested for shoplifting. He did not have ID or a drivers license, panicked, and gave the police false information: name, address, phone no., DOB, SS#, etc. They took prints and photo, but the arrest was a first offense so nothing was on record anywhere. They held him in a county facility for about 12 hours until a friend posted a $25 bond. He was released on the false information. The notice of the court date will be sent to the false name and the false address. The court date wil be in approx. 30 days. He does not plan on going to court and will leave the state well before any court notice is sent or any court date is set. The person who posted the $25 bond also gave a false name for himself but his own local address (another town) and the offender also owns this property with the friend under his real name. The friend will also will leave the state soon. Their drivers' licenses are out of state. The questions are: what will happen when he fails to go to court? Will the Florida authorities attempt to trace him through the person who posted bond (this person will not give them any true info. on the offender to protect him)? How will this affect his coming and going to Florida in the future under his real name and ID? What happens to any (bench?) warants of this type that will be issued - actively pursued, or put into a heap as it is relatively petty? They are only at this property about 4-5 times a year for a week or two each time but will move there full time in about 2 years. Will the property be surveilled, and can they come to the house for questioning and/or an arrest? The person does not need moral views (as I said, I am just the typist and poster), just the facts.

calatty

It is unlikely the police will conduct an all out investigation to find a shoplifter unless it is a small town and the police do not have a lot to do. If he ever gets picked up again, his fingerprints could tie him to the previous offense. Charges do not just disappear if you evade them long enough. He might want to ask whether evading is worth it for such a petty offense for which he wouldn't serve jail time anyway.

J

JollyRoger

Good advice.
May even be able to answer complaint and pay fine under name given.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">