• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal search?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Douglas FitzGer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
Last month I had a helicopter fly over my property, I have 32 acres, and they found two marijuana grow sites. When the chopper was flying over my wife went out to see what was up. While outside she saw an SUV coming up the driveway, and went back inside. An officer knocked on the door and told my wife they had a chopper in the air and found a couple of grow sites. My wife asked if they had a warrant, and the officer said no, but they were going to check them out, and proceeded to pull up the plants. Is this a legal search?

BOR

I believe that is known as the "open fields" doctrine.

There is NO expectation of privacy in an open field, so entering it, maybe not by the curtilage of the home, but by jumping a fence or such, is not a search, therefore no warrant is required, IMO.

justalayman

You are probably correct BOR. Personally, I find this exception outrageous but that doesn't change what the courts have accepted.

so, what would one define as curtilage?

this is from http://topics.law.cornell.edu/wex/curtilage

Curtilage includes the area immediately surrounding a dwelling, and it counts as part of the home for many legal purposes, including searches and many self-defense laws. When considering whether something is in a dwelling's curtilage, courts consider four factors:

The proximity of the thing to the dwelling;
Whether the thing is within an enclosure surrounding the home;
Wha the thing is used for.
What steps, if any, the resident took to protect the thing from observation/ access by people passing by.
so, it would appear something such as a farm field is not curtilage but what about something such as an estate where there may be 32 acres of maintained property? what if it is also fenced? and the tennis court is at the furthest point from the house?

Perky

This is a 1988 case from Oregon. The Supreme Court clarified the open fields doctrine in its decision. I couldn't find anything more recent.

State v. Theresa Dixson

So, the tennis court on the fenced property should be safe from scrutiny. :)

Perky

The 1988 case involved an aerial search as well.

Perhaps the law has changed regarding aerial searches.

BOR

You are probably correct BOR. Personally, I find this exception outrageous but that doesn't change what the courts have accepted.
I don't find it outrageous at all.

Yes, technically it is the owner's "air space", and can consider it "private", but as the SC has ruled, commercial planes are permitted to fly over anyones air space, (emphasis added), so the constitutional Q is of course, when does an expectation of privacy cease?

I think the OR SC decision is very well written legally. It will be decided on a case by case basis.

justalayman

I don't find it outrageous at all.

Yes, technically it is the owner's "air space", and can consider it "private", but as the SC has ruled, commercial planes are permitted to fly over anyones air space, (emphasis added), so the constitutional Q is of course, when does an expectation of privacy cease?

I think the OR SC decision is very well written legally. It will be decided on a case by case basis.
I don't have a problem with the air space (well, sort of but based on unrealistic expectations) situation. Based on the interpretation that area outside of the curtilage of a home is exempt from the protection afforded by the 4th is what I see as outrageous. That is what the statements about the fence, maintained yard, and tennis courts were about.

Some Random Guy

The decision of the court case cited did not discuss the legality of the aerial search but instead revolved around the secondary search by police on the ground. It was during that second search that the police found the defendants with the MJ grow site.

I think that other aerial cases that went before the US Supreme court are more on point:
California v. Ciraolo
California v. Ciraolo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida v. Riley
Florida v. Riley - Significance - Court, Brennan, Privacy, Police, Gell, and Greenhouse

BOR

The decision of the court case cited did not discuss the legality of the aerial search but instead revolved around the secondary search by police on the ground. It was during that second search that the police found the defendants with the MJ grow site.
Right, I reread it. It does not address an aerial search, good point.

It mentions the open fields doctrine, but they are considering it from entering from a NON curtilage area, supposedly, true.

Dave1952

I read this thread with interest. I'm puzzled by how an aerial search would show a marijuana grow site. Would such a thing really be obvious from 100 ft. up. Apparently it was but how? I am willing to believe that when the ground searchers found the plants they could see them, handle them, smell them, et c. and decide whether this was pot. What can they do from a helicopter.
Assuming that the land is not posted "No Trespassing" I don't see that searching the land violates any laws. Mr. Justalayman mentions curtilage but the OP does not mention that the pot was near the house so I doubt that curtilage applies.
I have lived in a few rural areas and find the wife's behavior strange. Certainly going out to look at a low flying helicopter is normal but going into the house when seeing a car coming up the driveway is most odd. Normal folks would wave, call off the dogs, and walk towards the driveway.

Good luck

BOR

I read this thread with interest. I'm puzzled by how an aerial search would show a marijuana grow site. Would such a thing really be obvious from 100 ft. up. Apparently it was but how? I am willing to believe that when the ground searchers found the plants they could see them, handle them, smell them, et c. and decide whether this was pot. What can they do from a helicopter.
Binoculars can ZOOM in fairly close, MJ has a distinctive leaf shape. Either that or thermal imaging??

Assuming that the land is not posted "No Trespassing" I don't see that searching the land violates any laws. Mr. Justalayman mentions curtilage but the OP does not mention that the pot was near the house so I doubt that curtilage applies.
Not having "no trespassing" signs does not mean a homeowner has relinquished his 4th AM rights or his state Constitutional parallel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">