• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get in trouble for this? Possible Harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

This is related to Facebook but one of my friend called me and said to stop messaging Girl A on Facebook private message. All I said was 'Hi' a little over 2 weeks ago on Facebook private message.

My friend is mutual friend with Girl A. Friend also said that his husband does not like that and he does not want anything crazy to happen. Friend also claimed that I was posting on her 'Wall' on Facebook which is incorrect as far as I can recall.

I have decided not to message Girl A of course but can I get in any sort of legal trouble for this?

Note : I was messaging Girl A for the first time ever to start a new friend on Facebook.

Last edited:

Isis1

It's only harrassment AFTER you've been warned. You have been warned. So you will no longer contact since you now know you're contact is unwanted. Right?

It's only harrassment AFTER you've been warned. You have been warned. So you will no longer contact since you now know you're contact is unwanted. Right?
That is correct.

I really felt embarassed talking to my friend over the phone about this issue as a grown adult.

mistoffolees

I agree that he should 'unfriend' this person and not contact them, but I'm not sure it's harassment. Posting 'hi' on a public forum like Facebook probably doesn't rise to harassment.

But be sure to unfriend her because if you don't, stuff you YOUR wall can appear on her page. It's really complex the way everything is tied together.

Isis1

I agree that he should 'unfriend' this person and not contact them, but I'm not sure it's harassment. Posting 'hi' on a public forum like Facebook probably doesn't rise to harassment.

But be sure to unfriend her because if you don't, stuff you YOUR wall can appear on her page. It's really complex the way everything is tied together.
I could be wrong, but when i get back home i could have sworn i read the statuate listed harrassment as "unwanted" contact.

"aw'll bee bawk" :D

mistoffolees

I could be wrong, but when i get back home i could have sworn i read the statuate listed harrassment as "unwanted" contact.
That may be, but the way Facebook works is that if you post something on your page, it goes to the page of everyone who has friended you. So OP could argue that his ex caused the contact by 'friending' him.

In any event, unfriending her will fix the problem.

I don't recall sending a 'friend request' to this on Facebook but I may have.
I said 'hi' in the private message option Facebook but never got a reply back from Girl A.

Currently, Girl A is not a friend of my on Facebook.

That may be, but the way Facebook works is that if you post something on your page, it goes to the page of everyone who has friended you. So OP could argue that his ex caused the contact by 'friending' him.

In any event, unfriending her will fix the problem.
Also, what Facebook wants you to do first is to Block the person you don't want any contact with.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Oh, just block Girl A already.

And defriend the helpful "friend" who called you, because the "friend" should have told Girl A to block you if contact you is so unwanted, not serve as an intermediary in perpetuating drama. Alleged "friend" should, in fact, get a life. Or perhaps Girl A and husband should learn how to use Facebook.

Legally, there is no case against you, if the situation is as you have portrayed it.

Really, get to know and love the block feature. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and all that good stuff.

Trickster

This almost has evolved into a "Dear Abby" session. :rolleyes:

I think you should simply click the ignore button and leave the drama alone. These Facebook "friends" are more like blimps on a radar screen than a "real friend". Last count, I had 13 friends on my list and I personally know everyone of them. All but one reside in my state. My wife on the otherhand has about 300 "friends" and only knows like a few more than the original 13 I have. Don't sweat it.

But to address harrassment, first off there is a Terms of Service that you and everyone with a Facebook account agreed to. There are millions of users and millions of these messages sent all around the world. Hypothetically, what if you lived in Arkansas and "Girl A" lived in China or let's be alittle more local and stay within this country and say she lived in Michigan. The question that must be considered is one of "yep, it may or may not be harrassment" but other than complaining to an Internet Provider, Facebook or whatever, then what does one do? Where does jurisdiction be found? Is it possible for you to commit a misdemeanor by "harrassing" or even "threatening" while your person is in one state and a complainant in some other state, or even some other country? What then?

Can she or anyone else go to the local county courthouse and swear out an arrest warrant and have the person in some other state brought into another state to answer some state law offense? If the answer to all this is YES, then we all are in big trouble. This is a classic opportunity to apply the old Army reasoning of ~~~K.I.S.S.~~~ and be done with it.

Hint: You can always assume a new identity and say hi to Girl A as anyone you want to be :cool:

Oh, just block Girl A already.

And defriend the helpful "friend" who called you, because the "friend" should have told Girl A to block you if contact you is so unwanted, not serve as an intermediary in perpetuating drama. Alleged "friend" should, in fact, get a life. Or perhaps Girl A and husband should learn how to use Facebook.

Legally, there is no case against you, if the situation is as you have portrayed it.

Really, get to know and love the block feature. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and all that good stuff.
I have to drop my helpful friend also who is friends with Girl A? Actually, my friend said that her husband called my friend and told me stop.

The best thing you can do on Facebook is to simply block the person you don't want any contact with, its that simple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">