• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The invisible green arrow: Chicago Right on Red Violation--Redflex Photo Info Needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tina Chaca

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Is anyone familiar with Redflex red light violation tickets in Chicago? Maybe a technician or an attorney who has sought this information before. I am looking for an explanation from someone expert in knowing exactly what the numbers on a City of Chicago Camera Enforcement Violation picture taken by a Redflex camera mean.

Redflex took a poor picture of a 5 section traffic light with bright sun backlighting the traffic light and a dark building behind the light as well. (I wish I could attach the pictures.) The picture is so poor with so little contrast that you might easily assume there are only 3 sections to the signal. The video shows not much more and is only available as a small picture, poor resolution, posted at a web site for 3 months, and can't even be downloaded to my computer.

All the picture and video show with certainty is a bright red light at the top of a signal and an alleged violation--a car turning right without coming to a stop.

What neither still picture or video show is the green turn arrow at the bottom of the signal.

Here are the numbers and facts on photo 1: Lane:1 RED :0.40
AMBER :3.01 ElapsedTime0.00
photo 2: Lane:1 RED :2.40 AMBER :3.01 ElapsedTime2.00

After the usual short-as-legally-possible yellow light, the sequence of lights is 1) red light with simultaneous green arrow for right turn for 5 seconds, 2) red light with simultaneous yellow arrow for right turn for 4 seconds, and 3) a lone red light. My knowledge of traffic law, if correct, tells me that the only time a right-turning driver always has to come to a complete stop would be at step 3--during the lone red light.

So what do the numbers above mean? When did Redflex take the picture? After the amber light? If so, the numbers show that the car turned on a green right turn arrow.

Thanks in advance for help in getting some solid info on this.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">