• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separated and husband won lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gayle Allison

I reside in North Carolina and over a year ago we split up. We had an agreement that I would support us until he won his lawsuit (I have an email where he admits this). He was going to pay of all the bills as his part of the agreement. We split up and then he won his lawsuit, but now he says he doesn't have to pay. How would this hold up in court? He also wants me to pay alimony since he is disabled. (he could work if he wanted to).

mistoffolees

So no one has filed for divorce?

A side agreement on support or property division isn't enforceable. You can only enforce it if you have a court order. You could TRY to get the agreement enforced, but it's going to depend on the exact wording - and how lenient of a judge you get.

What was the lawsuit for? SOME types of settlement might be marital property.

As for alimony, how long were you married and what are each of your incomes?

Trickster

If you are NOT married, my opinion is you may have a very hard time getting anything. I think the key factor here is the word "married", or not. If not, then how can you prove an email was even sent to you by HIM. He can claim he never sent it and was hacked, or a friend was fooling around. In other words, if you filed suit against him, and you two wasn't married, and your only evidence is your word against his word aliong with an email that cannot be validated as proper evidence, then you may have learned a valuable lesson. Reduce all agreements down to writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">