• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Files - public or private?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

If someone were to be complained about to a city police department, would that individual have the right to call the police department and read the police reports or files that concerned him or her or would this information just be kept private and not accessible by that subject? FYI no action was taken, arrest, prosecution, etc, only a report was taken and kept on file by the police.
The individual who was complained about was not contacted by the police.

Isis1

Police REPORTS can be public information. Police notes. Are not.

Who made the report? How do you KNOW for an absolute fact the person reported was not contacted?

Trickster

I haven't a clue what goes on in New York City. But, let's say, if a person called the police on you and accused you of doing something, and you didn't end up in jail, then unless the matter was under "investigation" then it sure seems you can request a copy of any report you wanted. I feel that I could hop on a plane and fly up there, walk in and request a copy of a police report and get one for a nominal copy fee. I may be wrong, or the right may be non-existent anymore, but I always thought you had a right to confront your accuser. Therefore, my opinion on this matter is YES, you are entitled a police report notwithstanding the matter is not under investigation.

Isis1

I haven't a clue what goes on in New York City. But, let's say, if a person called the police on you and accused you of doing something, and you didn't end up in jail, then unless the matter was under "investigation" then it sure seems you can request a copy of any report you wanted. I feel that I could hop on a plane and fly up there, walk in and request a copy of a police report and get one for a nominal copy fee. I may be wrong, or the right may be non-existent anymore, but I always thought you had a right to confront your accuser. Therefore, my opinion on this matter is YES, you are entitled a police report notwithstanding the matter is not under investigation.
That was lovely. Your opinion. Not in NY.

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

If someone were to be complained about to a city police department, would that individual have the right to call the police department and read the police reports or files that concerned him or her or would this information just be kept private and not accessible by that subject? FYI no action was taken, arrest, prosecution, etc, only a report was taken and kept on file by the police.
The individual who was complained about was not contacted by the police.
You are free to contact the precinct and ask if they will show you a copy of any complaint, report, or entry made concerning you. They will likely refuse to show you anything more than they are required to by law. Typically, about all they might be required to release would be complaint, the nature of the complaint, and and who made the complaint. They might choose to give you more, but they are likely not required to.

Thanks for your quick responses. I was the one who called the cops on someone else for threatening acts of violence. They chose not to pursue my report/complaint. The individual mentioned I am 95% was not contacted, but he might have found out through the grapevine or just had a hunch about what had occurred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">