• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Anyone know the answer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tampajon

My Kid in Texas sent me a "Fedex Package" I didnt know what it was until I got a call from the Sheriffs office saying there is a "problem" with it and I can come down and give them to consent to open without fear of arrest. Turns out my son sent some marijuana, and it looks like I have a problem. Can they arrest me for this undelivered delivery?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My Kid in Texas sent me a "Fedex Package" I didnt know what it was until I got a call from the Sheriffs office saying there is a "problem" with it and I can come down and give them to consent to open without fear of arrest. Turns out my son sent some marijuana, and it looks like I have a problem. Can they arrest me for this undelivered delivery?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
US Law Only!

But, yes, they can arrest you. Get an attorney and shut up about this.

tampajon

How can they arrest me if I never had possesion of the package?

I have called a few attorneys and they all are asking for a standard retainer of 1k or more. I cannot afford that. Although most say that the Sheriff cant prove I knew what was in it, and the return name and address being false information, leave them with no where to go as far as investigating. Makes sense that if I never took delivery that I could not be responsible for the contents. Or am I being naive? I am disabled and use marijuana for medicinal purposes, but this has me really scared.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
US Law Only!

But, yes, they can arrest you. Get an attorney and shut up about this.
Looking at OP's name, I'd hazard a guess that he's in Florida.

Dude, you and junior are both going to need lawyers. This is a federal offense.

FlyingRon

I love my fed-ex guy cause he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it.
You're lucky you're in Florida. Here, they would have waited until you picked up the package, stormed the place, held you and your grandmother at gunpoint and shot your dogs.

justalayman

tampajon;2672404] Or am I being naive?
yes.

I am disabled and use marijuana for medicinal purposes, but this has me really scared.
I would suggest everything in your house going away. There is a chance (good chance I believe) they will end up with a search warrant for your house due to the delivery

tampajon

wow, hard to believe

Yes I am in florida, sorry not familiar with the proper use of this site. It's hard to believe I am going through this over a half ounce of marijuana. But I appreciate the advice. Thank You

justalayman

Yes I am in florida, sorry not familiar with the proper use of this site. It's hard to believe I am going through this over a half ounce of marijuana. But I appreciate the advice. Thank You
It's hard to believe you are so amazed that when caught breaking the law, you wouldn't expect something to be done about it. After all, it is illegal in Florida.

if you do not have a lawyer already, it would be a good idea to start looking for one. You should preserve your rights and not talk to the police about anything at this point. You cannot talk your way out of charges but you surely can talk your way into them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
if you do not have a lawyer already, it would be a good idea to start looking for one. You should preserve your rights and not talk to the police about anything at this point. You cannot talk your way out of charges but you surely can talk your way into them.
I tried telling the OP the same thing...lawyers are too expensive. I guess it's a cost vs. benefit thing, huh? ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">