• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interesting Probate experience

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

april2955

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida

I have a rather complicated estate case. My uncle is the administrator my grandfathers estate. My grandfather passed away in Florida a while ago and left his estate to his wife in trust (she could use the proceeds of the stock but not the actual stock). When she passed the stock passed to my uncle, aunt and mother. The will stipulates "share and share alike" for the stock. My mother and aunt passed before my grandfathers wife. My aunt passed in Tenn. without heirs but had a husband with children from a previous marriage that have setteled for 5,000 each. My mother passed in Texas without a will. Her share of the estate was to have been shared 50/50 by agreement with her former husband and me. The other 50% was to go to my uncle. A few months ago my uncle has settled with my mothers former husband for 7,500 but I refused. My uncle has recently contacted me for a 15,000 settlement. That is the background...

My question is if I should settle. He has not provided a final statement of the remaining stock value. If I refuse the settlement is he required to provide this to the court or to me? I would like to settle and be done but I don't want to get taken for a ride. Do I actually have any rights here as a surviving heir? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

anteater

By "former husband", I assume that you mean that your mother was married to him when she passed away. In other words, a surviving spouse rather than a divorced one.

You are tossing around "in trust" and a will rather loosely here. And that confuses the issue as to who is entitled to what.

How has the former husband managed to be included in any of this? And how is your uncle getting 50% if there were 3 children?

Is this actually in probate court? Or is your uncle just playing "Let's Make a Deal"? And I notice that you did not mention any attorney in your post. Does anybody have one?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">