• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can police ask for your parents names and stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trav1085

I am in canada. I was reading up on being talked to by the police and I learned that they can only ask your name and address. but what if you are underage, and they ask for your parents phone numbers and names? are you required to tell them that? what exactly does "address" include, is that just the house number and street number or can they ask you for your phone number as well.

I would like to know in detail because I just had a "talk" with some police because of a complaint they received about some people smoking pot in my area. they asked me some questions and stupidly I answered (nothing really incriminating, but I wish I had knew my rights beforehand). they asked for the contact number and name of the operator of the youth club I was at. I think that is total BS but I didn't argue at the time.

Proserpina

I am in canada. I was reading up on being talked to by the police and I learned that they can only ask your name and address. but what if you are underage, and they ask for your parents phone numbers and names? are you required to tell them that? what exactly does "address" include, is that just the house number and street number or can they ask you for your phone number as well.

I would like to know in detail because I just had a "talk" with some police because of a complaint they received about some people smoking pot in my area. they asked me some questions and stupidly I answered (nothing really incriminating, but I wish I had knew my rights beforehand). they asked for the contact number and name of the operator of the youth club I was at. I think that is total BS but I didn't argue at the time.

US law only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">