• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gayle Allison

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina. My husband is trying to get alimony stating that his disability payments are not enough to live on. He exaggerated his symptoms (by not working for over 3 years) to get disability. He could have worked a desk job (and still could). what do you suggest to defend myself.

mistoffolees

Get an attorney.

There are a lot of unanswered questions:

Since he's receiving disability, SOMEONE must have found him to be disabled. Who? Where does he receive the payments from?

What is the nature of his disability?

How long were you married?

What evidence do you have that he is able to work (unless you have a statement from a licensed medical professional who examined him in a diagnostic setting, your opinion that he could work is worthless).

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina. My husband is trying to get alimony stating that his disability payments are not enough to live on. He exaggerated his symptoms (by not working for over 3 years) to get disability. He could have worked a desk job (and still could). what do you suggest to defend myself.
According to your previous posts your husband is recieving social security disability since the first of the year.

If he exaggerated his symptoms, what actions did YOU take to inform the SSA that he was not truthful during the time the case was being decided?

You won't be able to use him allegedly lying about the disabilty as a defense to alimony UNLESS you have proof of him lying AND can prove that you properly notified the SSA.

Now, in another thread you mentioned that he won a lawsuit, is the lawsuit actually the back pay of disability?

Antigone*

Husband received disability check.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My husband applied for disability through Social Security and it has taken about two years for it to finally come through. He received a check this year ($37,000) which included the amounts he would have received through the last two years. He is not able to work and mine was the only source of income this year ($45,381). Will we have to pay tax on his disability?

Thank you so much for your help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You don't at all indicate that he lied in this post. All you are concerned about is your tax position.:rolleyes: So if you weren't going through a divorce, and the check was coming into the family, you'd be okay with that, right;)

Depending on how long you were married, and how good his attorney is, he might just get the alimony he is looking for.

LdiJ

You don't at all indicate that he lied in this post. All you are concerned about is your tax position.:rolleyes: So if you weren't going through a divorce, and the check was coming into the family, you'd be okay with that, right;)

Depending on how long you were married, and how good his attorney is, he might just get the alimony he is looking for.
I agree, but I don't think that it would be a particularly high amount of alimony. She makes a living wage but not much beyond that.

LdiJ

She got the money, now she's out...

if this were a man, some people on here would be MORTIFIED at that behavior.:eek:
I just reviewed her posting history. They were separated before his SS settlement which happened in January of 2010.

Prior to receiving the settlement he agreed that it would be used to cover their marital debts. Apparently he has now reniged on that and on top of that wants alimony. Therefore she didn't get squat.

She had tax questions LAST January which were perfectly reasonable to have. Too bad all the tax professionals missed her thread so she never got an answer. She probably assumed she had to file jointly and they may have paid taxes they didn't need to pay.

I don't see anything here for anyone to get up in arms about regardless of what gender is in what role.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">