• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protection Order/Domestic Violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adouglass

A friend is getting divorced. Her soon-to-be-ex has been threatening and has become violent. She made a police report regarding the threats but did not include the strangling part. 1) Can she amend her police report? 2) She was told it was a minimum of $800 for a protective order to restrain this man. Is this true?

J

JoanneFromNJ1975

I have never heard of an order of protection costing any money? where are yu from? I am in NJ and maybe I am wrong but I have never heard of that. I am no lawyer but I was just wondering where you live?

A

adouglass

protection order/domestic abuse

oops! my bad! We live in Texas. The lawyer she has handling her divorce papers told her that it's a minimum $800 for a protection order, regardless of the situation.

B

bummedinIA

I live in IA and when you in a domestic abuse situation you can file a protective order and if you do not have the money to pay for one you can file a form that states you are not financial able to pay the filing fees. Is that available in your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">