• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions re typed Will etc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cctrayders123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My father died recently. We found the Will which is signed by him and two witnesses, but no other Attestation and not notarized. That means it is not valid or binding, right?
I am daughter nearby and we presumed I would handle the details of his small estate. My brother is in WA and has no problem with my handling things.
Only property designated on it was tools to go to a friend, and old car to be sold to pay for funeral expenses. Done. Friends have helped sell some items to eventually go toward bills and cc debt of $5,000.
AFTER we sold or donated inexpensive household furniture and items, and brought one carfull of some more meaningful items back to my house to be divided among family or sold toward cc bill, THEN I noted the "Will" had a friend designated as Executor. This person never said anything while we were cleaning the apt. And I seemed the logical one to handle things. I am keeping family informed re details. Now, I am thinking since Will was not notarized, does it not matter that I am handling things rather than this church friend? Value of all items amounts before selling anything was $3,000-$4,000. I'll pay the last bills with some and apply whatever we can to cc bills and I know I am not personally resp for rest of cc debt (totals just under $5,000 total). He also had some photographic equip bought early this year on cc. Do we HAVE to sell them to send $$ to cc? Since sold car ($700) will almost pay for funeral exp, can "donations" by friends be used toward his sister's airfare from WA?
Lastly, how do we "approach" the two cc companies? Thanks for all comments/advice and any other resource. Sorry this is so long.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

tranquility

TEX PB. CODE ANN. § 59 : Texas Statutes - Section 59: REQUISITES OF A WILL
(a) Every last will and testament, except where otherwise provided by law, shall be in writing and signed by the testator in person or by another person for him by his direction and in his presence, and shall, if not wholly in the handwriting of the testator, be attested by two or more credible witnesses above the age of fourteen years who shall subscribe their names thereto in their own handwriting in the presence of the testator. Such a will or testament may, at the time of its execution or at any subsequent date during the lifetime of the testator and the witnesses, be made self-proved, and the testimony of the witnesses in the probate thereof may be made unnecessary, by the affidavits of the testator and the attesting witnesses, made before an officer authorized to administer oaths under the laws of this State. Provided that nothing shall require an affidavit or certificate of any testator or testatrix as a prerequisite to self-proof of a will or testament other than the certificate set out below. The affidavits shall be evidenced by a certificate, with official seal affixed, of such officer attached or annexed to such will or testament in form and contents substantially as follows:

THE STATE OF TEXAS

COUNTY OF ________________

Before me, the undersigned authority, on this day personally appeared _______________, _______________, and _______________, known to me to be the testator and the witnesses, respectively, whose names are subscribed to the annexed or foregoing instrument in their respective capacities, and, all of said persons being by me duly sworn, the said _______________, testator, declared to me and to the said witnesses in my presence that said instrument is his last will and testament, and that he had willingly made and executed it as his free act and deed; and the said witnesses, each on his oath stated to me, in the presence and hearing of the said testator, that the said testator had declared to them that said instrument is his last will and testament, and that he executed same as such and wanted each of them to sign it as a witness; and upon their oaths each witness stated further that they did sign the same as witnesses in the presence of the said testator and at his request; that he was at that time eighteen years of age or over (or being under such age, was or had been lawfully married, or was then a member of the armed forces of the United States or of an auxiliary thereof or of the Maritime Service) and was of sound mind; and that each of said witnesses was then at least fourteen years of age.

Testator

Witness

Witness

Subscribed and sworn to before me by the said ____________, testator, and by the said ________________ and _______________, witnesses, this ______ day of________________ A.D. ________________.

(SEAL)

(Signed)____________________________

(Official Capacity of Officer)

(b) An affidavit in form and content substantially as provided by Subsection (a) of this section is a "self-proving affidavit." A will with a self-proving affidavit subscribed and sworn to by the testator and witnesses attached or annexed to the will is a "self-proved will." Substantial compliance with the form of such affidavit shall suffice to cause the will to be self-proved. For this purpose, an affidavit that is subscribed and acknowledged by the testator and subscribed and sworn to by the witnesses would suffice as being in substantial compliance. A signature on a self-proving affidavit is considered a signature to the will if necessary to prove that the will was signed by the testator or witnesses, or both, but in that case, the will may not be considered a self-proved will.

(c) A self-proved will may be admitted to probate without the testimony of any subscribing witness, but otherwise it shall be treated no differently than a will not self-proved. In particular and without limiting the generality of the foregoing, a self-proved will may be contested, or revoked or amended by a codicil in exactly the same fashion as a will not self-proved.

Acts 1955, 54th Leg., p. 88, ch. 55, eff. Jan. 1, 1956. Amended by Acts 1961, 57th Leg., p. 936, ch. 412, Sec. 1, eff. June 17, 1961; Acts 1969, 61st Leg., p. 1922, ch. 641, Sec. 5, eff. June 12, 1969; Acts 1971, 62nd Leg., p. 974, ch. 173, Sec. 5, eff. Jan. 1, 1972; Acts 1991, 72nd Leg., ch. 895, Sec. 7, eff. Sept. 1, 1991.

cctrayders123

I understand then that his Will was NOT self-proved. I'm thinking then it means he would be considered as dying intestate.
I also am understanding that it is not absolutely necessary to go to probate for an estate as small and uncomplicated as his. Correct? Thus I don't have to feel like I did something neglectful by handling things myself, when I didn't realize he had designated someone else to do it. I hope others can comment more on my other questions, but thank you for the clarity re a self-proved well. :)

tranquility

No, I would say:

(c) A self-proved will may be admitted to probate without the testimony of any subscribing witness, but otherwise it shall be treated no differently than a will not self-proved. In particular and without limiting the generality of the foregoing, a self-proved will may be contested, or revoked or amended by a codicil in exactly the same fashion as a will not self-proved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">