• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Registered sex offender round-up for Halloween?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Does anyone know if there are any special procedures for RSO's on Halloween? I would think there would be a police officer stationed outside each and every RSO's house chasing the goblins away. Or do they just round them up and force them to stay in the stationhouse for the duration of the holiday? Or do they do nothing?

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Does anyone know if there are any special procedures for RSO's on Halloween? I would think there would be a police officer stationed outside each and every RSO's house chasing the goblins away. Or do they just round them up and force them to stay in the stationhouse for the duration of the holiday? Or do they do nothing?
If you guys in NJ have enough money and officers to babysit every sex offender, then I'm in the wrong state!

I know of no agency that has any specific sex offender detail or response for Halloween. There might be some agency somewhere, or there might be a couple of high profile twits that the locals want to watch, but by and large, there is not any sort of sex offender babysitting service on Halloween. My agency doesn't have enough officers to do that even if we were so inclined.

Proserpina

The same response would probably apply to any holiday or occasion where children would be present.

Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter.....I could continue, but I think we all get the gist.

So, let's hope OP doesn't start a new thread for every public holiday.

Please.

Isis1

The same response would probably apply to any holiday or occasion where children would be present.

Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter.....I could continue, but I think we all get the gist.

Please.

Yeah, no. Pro, you are just tooooo demanding! ;)

The Occultist

If you are a responsible parent, then you are watching your kids, and if you are watching your kids, then ain't no way is somebody gonna nab your child on their front porch right in front of you.

Please.
There is a particular propensity between Halloween and children. That is why I said Halloween.

xylene

Number of children, unaccompanied, who solicited sweets and gifts on those holidays, at my house ever in history = ZERO.

There is a big difference with Halloween and of course the sex crime unit puts a big emphasis on making sure the creeps are obeying their terms.

A specific "NO CANDY NO TRICKER TREETERS" thing is common for offenders.

BUT - the reality is that the police can only do so much, and doing more is not sensible, it is a bizarre moral panic.

BOR

Please.
I have also heard of Halloween round up, so to speak. Some jurisdictions were ordering, although legally not enforceable I suppose, for all registered sex offenders to stay indoors on beggar's night.

1. Children were out in high #'s.

2. The offenders could dress up also and make it extremely difficult to facial/identify a kidnapper, etc.

xylene

Now Watch the Magic Pumkin...

washingtontimes.com/news/2008/oct/15/pumpkin-marks-sex-offenders-homes/

New story from the past.

Bonus points if you can place the movie and context to which the title of this post refers.

Indiana Filer

All the registered sex offenders and sex offenders on probation in my county are required to show up for a required meeting at our office during the official trick-or-treating hours. But that's just my county in Indiana and the policy of our officer who supervises the sex offenders. It's not law.

CdwJava

There is a difference between being a registered sex offender and being on probation or parole as well. One can exercise leverage with a probationer or parolee, not so with a registered sex offender.

All the registered sex offenders and sex offenders on probation in my county are required to show up for a required meeting at our office during the official trick-or-treating hours. But that's just my county in Indiana and the policy of our officer who supervises the sex offenders. It's not law.
Wrong state :(

If you are a responsible parent, then you are watching your kids, and if you are watching your kids, then ain't no way is somebody gonna nab your child on their front porch right in front of you.
Sometimes it doesn't work that way. And every unaccompained child is not going to get snatched off a porch.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">