• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing a Last Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

levidenum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My uncle has no will, is 74 and married to a let's say not so nice lady. He owns several properties, he does have a prenumptial (spelling?) agreement with her. He would like me to help him with his last will and testament.

We were thinking of using Legalzoom.com But do not understand everything yet.

Question #1: After we finish his will do we file it with the county or lock it up somewhere until he dies? He does not wish for his wife to see his will until after his death.

Question #2: Can he leave her just one of his properties to live in and a set amount of money to be received every month. If he can specify a set amount of money would the executor (probably me) have to set up a checking account to pay her out of?

Question #3: His wife and him adopted his wife's grandson and raised him for 10 years. The wife gave him back to the birth mother. The wife signed over power of attorney to the birth mother as my uncle would not sign over custody (nor did he sign the power of attorney). Can he put me in charge of whatever money/property he leaves this grandson/son?

Thank you! I know that's a lot of questions and we will not proceed on our own if too complicated.

curb1

I agree with "nextwife". To be done exactly as he wishes it will be worth the money to do it correctly. There are too many places in your thoughts that could have undesirable outcomes.

Kiawah

And it's not good enough to just have those documents in place. Assets actually have to be titled correctly, accounts w/beneficiaries need to be set up correctly, etc.....in order for everything to have the desired results.

A lawyer can explain to him how and why things need to be titled differently, and how to change them if need be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">