• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Benefit programs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dragonbrn

Hello there. Am new to this site, so forgive me if I don't put this as well as it might be.
The situation is as follows: I am employed by a major veterinary clinic in a very well-to-do northern suburb of Detroit, Michigan. Note, I did say employed. I am a dog groomer. We work on commission, and set our own hours and fees. According to my research, these do NOT make me and my co-workers independent contractors in and of themselves.
The question is this: the entire rest of the employees of the clinic are offered a benefits package which includes medical/dental insurance, vacation pay, and profit sharing. We are not. Is this legal?
More details about the situation:
The benefits extend from the veterinarians (who bring in the bulk of the company income), to all the support staff: receptionists, vet techs, kennel help, janitorial and bookkeeping staff. The vets are the only element besides the dog groomers who actually attract income.
The rationale from the front office is that we are "independent contractors", or, that we are "just paying for ourselves".
We fill out a W2 when we hire in. All taxes are paid by the company, on a bi-weekly paycheck. The company pays for maintenance on our equipment, and supplies equipment for us to use. It supplies all necessary consumable products, janitorial services, bookkeeping and receptionist services, etc. None of us has a key to the building. It is the only place any of us works at our chosen profession.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">