• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statutory crime.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Allan0913

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey.

Ok My 30 year old best friend was text messaging a guy that said he was 30 and they hooked up and when they were done they both left and he received a message from the other guy that my friend was going to jail, I'm 16, the cops have your description. Now from all of the laws that I read it doesn't sound like there is anything he can be arrested for but I am not sure can someone please advise me on what he can be charged with if anything? My friend is worried out of his mind and I want to put his mind at ease, he said there was only oral and no penetration if that helps.
Thanks for any advice you can give me.

cyjeff

If there was no penetration, what happened EXACTLY when they hooked up? Were there any sexual conversations?

It is absolutely the responsibility of the adult to verify the age of the partner. Yes, that means that a sexual relationship starts with the mutual viewing of driver's licenses.

NJ's age of consent is 16, but there are other charges on the table (corruption of a minor come to mind).

Are you saying that your friend really couldn't tell the difference between a 30 and 16 year old?

Allan0913

I saw the picture and he looks thirty I am asking so I can give him some peace, well there was only some text messages between them and he was joking with him about charging by the hour and then he pulled this so I am not too sure if the guy is even 16 he may just be pulling his leg. as for what exactly happened, the guy responded to an ad on craigslist.org of my friends looking for a Boyfriend saying he was thirty and when they got together and all was done he text messaged my friend saying he was 16, but like I said I saw the picture and he didn't look any younger than 26 and the youngest and he basically looked his age. I think it may have been a joke for the supposedly 16 year old.

The bottom line is that the legal age of consent in NJ is sixteen. As far as that "corrupting a minor" I am not familiar with that although I believe there is some obscure reference to it on the books.

I'm not sure about texting, but in the United States anything having to do with the Internet both parties have to state (well actually have to be) eighteen regardless if they're communicating within the same state or not. As soon as one of the parties says they're anything under eighteen at that point you've got a big problem on your hands.

The Occultist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey.

Ok My 30 year old best friend was text messaging a guy that said he was 30 and they hooked up and when they were done they both left and he received a message from the other guy that my friend was going to jail, I'm 16, the cops have your description. Now from all of the laws that I read it doesn't sound like there is anything he can be arrested for but I am not sure can someone please advise me on what he can be charged with if anything? My friend is worried out of his mind and I want to put his mind at ease, he said there was only oral and no penetration if that helps.
Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Allan, nothing can really be said unless charges have been brought up. Has your "friend" actually been charged with anything? If so, what? (please provide actual code numbers).

Allan0913

No he was never charged and no police officers came around so that just makes me think even more that the guy was pulling his leg, But I thank you for all the advice that was given.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">