• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katerinaswt7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

In 2005, I had just moved to the state of New York and was pulled over for talking on my cell phone, which I wasn't used to since I'm from NC and it is still allowed. My mother had been paying my insurance and whatever the financial issue she must have let it lapse...the officer ran my license and registration and came back saying it had expired. He issued me two tickets, cell and insurance. I assumed I would get notification in the mail about court, as I received infofrmation regarding the cell phone fine and paid it. My car was old and 3 months later I ended up basically giving it away because there was too much work and money to be put into it. Without a car I did not need a new license and continued to carry my NC license for identification purposes. It wasn't until my NC license expired in 2007 that I had to turn it in to the NY Dmv and they issued me a NY license with no mention of this old violation??

I moved back to NC over the summer of 2009 for a new job, again issued back a new NC license surrendering my NY one (I actually did this right away this time). The company I had applied for ran a background check on my license/driving record. They told me I had a suspended license that I would have to take care of it before being employed. I called Nassau Co traffic court and they said I had to come in person. So i did in assumption that this would be resolved. On my own dime, I flew up and sat through a day only to pay a minor fee and have another date to come back and provide proof of insurance. Well I have no proof. I wasn't going back and missed the next date.

Can or will this affect my current NC license. Recently, they sent me something from the NY DMV saying pay $125. I called to do the pay by phone option and the representative said they didn't understand why this was sent, but that it wasn't really a violation I could pay?? I feel like I'm being jerked around and I'm so tired of the back & forth. I call to discuss my situation and I'm always leaving messages and then I'll get a call back days later in the middle of the work day with a rude voicemail telling me I NEED to take care of this and to come in person to traffic court like I still live there!! It's driving me crazy. I do not want this to affect my NC license, which they have been threatening to do so? At this point, I don't know what to do...please advise!!?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">