• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Im about To Be Sued Over A Car.. Please Help Me Out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joea123

I live in the state of Maryland and about 5 months ago I sub leased a car from a friend of a friend. At the time of purchase we signed a standard car payment contract stating that I would pay him $270 per month until the car was paid off.

Well about a month goes by and the person wanted THEIR auto tags back from me. I agreed to give the person the tags back only if he went to the DMV and signed the car over to me being as though in MD you cannot get insurance on a car unless you can show proof of ownership.

He agreed to do that but stated that it couldn't be done right away because of his work. So temporarily I would pay for his insurance and he would add me as a driver.

About 4 months went by and I was still paying under his insurance when I got into and accident. It was then that I found out that I was not covered under his insurance and that he never registered me as a driver. At first I started to put the money out to pay for the vehicle out then was told that it would cost a lot more than originally quoted. Finally the insurance company stepped in did an investigation and gave him a check to get the car repaired (at least thats what he says, I think they gave him a check because they totaled the car out). But anyway after receiving this check he then called me on the phone stating that he wanted me to continue paying for the car and to also pay for all damages.

I rebutted with "if you pay for the car with the insurance money I will take it back but for me to have to pay for insurance the car and for damages is outrageous". He then said I will see you in court and hung up on me.

Can someone please tell me my next move? I own a small business but we are in tumoil right now and I do not have money for a lawyer, BTW the car was signed over to the company as a company car NOT MY NAME, So he would be suing my already dwindling company. The company is an LLC.

Again any advice is appreciated, I rally need the help.

racer72

If the car was totaled, you cannot continue driving it till it is repaired and inspected. Also, if his insurance company totaled the car and he was paid for the loss, the car now legally belongs to the insurance company, not to the guy you were buying it from or you. Your best option would be to return the car and find another one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">