• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Grand Jury v State Grand Jury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trickster

What is the name of your state (Tennessee)?

I was recently posed with a relatively simple question whereas i found I really didn't "know" the answer, although I felt as if I did. Make sense so far? :confused:

Background:
In the state of Tennessee, every citizen has not only the right, but an obligation and duty to "go tell" the Grand Jury of any criminal offense that the citizen is aware of, or even want to "tell" on someone, whatever the case, but in any event, the district attorney isn't the only person with the key to the grand jury, but so doeas the common state citizen possess the same key. Therefore, in Tennessee, if you know of criminal activity and go tell the district attorney, but for some reason the D.A. refuses to present the information to a grand jury then the citizen can simply step up and present it themselves.

QUESTION: Since a resident of the state of Tennessee has the right to bring to the attention to the convened grand jury of any criminal activity then how does that compare to a "federal grand jury". The person that asked me this question, I responded by telling him he didn't have the rights in a federal court/system as he did in a state court/system. Therefore, he as a citizen was barred from giving direct testimony to a grand jury. The United States Attorney or assistants would have to gather his information, evaluate it and then present it to a 'federal" grand jury or not. If not, then he does not have the right to proceed in the USDA's absence.

I would like to invite convesation concerning how a federal grand jury system works as opposed to a state grand jury. I must admit, I am stumped:rolleyes:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (Tennessee)?

I was recently posed with a relatively simple question whereas i found I really didn't "know" the answer, although I felt as if I did. Make sense so far? :confused:

Background:
In the state of Tennessee, every citizen has not only the right, but an obligation and duty to "go tell" the Grand Jury of any criminal offense that the citizen is aware of, or even want to "tell" on someone, whatever the case, but in any event, the district attorney isn't the only person with the key to the grand jury, but so doeas the common state citizen possess the same key. Therefore, in Tennessee, if you know of criminal activity and go tell the district attorney, but for some reason the D.A. refuses to present the information to a grand jury then the citizen can simply step up and present it themselves.

QUESTION: Since a resident of the state of Tennessee has the right to bring to the attention to the convened grand jury of any criminal activity then how does that compare to a "federal grand jury". The person that asked me this question, I responded by telling him he didn't have the rights in a federal court/system as he did in a state court/system. Therefore, he as a citizen was barred from giving direct testimony to a grand jury. The United States Attorney or assistants would have to gather his information, evaluate it and then present it to a 'federal" grand jury or not. If not, then he does not have the right to proceed in the USDA's absence.

I would like to invite convesation concerning how a federal grand jury system works as opposed to a state grand jury. I must admit, I am stumped:rolleyes:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
This is not a "chat" board. If you have a specific legal question relating to an actual legal matter you are involved in, ask away. Otherwise, the volunteers on this site have other things to do than answer hypotheticals.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">