• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Divorce, No community Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swhite0211

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We were just recently married (Jun 21st, 2010), and decided that we made a huge mistake. We qualify for the "Summary Dissolution of Marriage" in California, which is good, because it shortens the procedure.

What I want to know, is since we have no community assets( literally nothing of value was purchased during the marriage, and we both have no debt)..Do we still have to fill out those giant earnings/property reports, or is there a simpler form we can turn in that says "He keeps his, she keeps hers, like it never happened"?

If there's not one readily available, could we have a separate agreement written by a lawyer to negate filling out those tedious forms? It seems unnecessary for us, since we don't share anything.

CourtClerk

Nope. A summary dissolution is 2 pages, you need both signatures and $395 (in most counties)... in other counties, it's $400 and $405

swhite0211

I was under that impression too, but the first time we filled it out, and took it to the county court (Monterey, if you're wondering), the clerk told us we'd need an FL-140, which, along with it, comes like six other forms that are multiple pages long, and involves me "serving" my spouse. I knew it had to be simpler. Thanks, CourtClerk.

CourtClerk

That person is incorrect. A summary dissolution requires no service and doesn't require a PDD or FDD either.

Technically, your declaration is on the petition itself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">