• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debrat4062

Hi, I was recently in a minor car accident and am curious as to who will be determined liable for the accident. I live in Masaschusetts.

As I was exiting a parking lot (with a designated way of entry and exit), I noticed that there were people in the exit lane of the parking lot. In order to avoid these people, I drove straight in the entry lane (the wrong way) of the parking lot to exit. While I was driving straight in the middle of the lane, another driver backed into me out of a parking space.

Although I was driving in the wrong lane of the parking lot to avoid people in the lot, the other driver backed into me. Who would be determined at fault in this accident? Thank you!

latigo

And I suppose you had more important things to do than wait the few seconds or so until the foot traffic had cleared!

ecmst12

And the correct answer is, the reversing driver is 100% at fault as he had the duty to make sure that it was safe to do so before pulling out of the parking space.

latigo

And the correct answer is, the reversing driver is 100% at fault as he had the duty to make sure that it was safe to do so before pulling out of the parking space.
AND the correct response to that is that ecsmt wouldn't know “The Restatement of the Law of Torts” from a Victoria's Secrets’ lingerie catalogue where she might have learned something about comparative and contributory negligence! That is, from the “Restatement”, not the bra and panty catalogue.

Of course she would never choose to voluntarily unmask to reveal that she has not an iota of a professional credential entitling her to contribute to this free Q&A public “legal” forum!

And such disclosure might detract from the dynamics of her constant demeaning of the American Judicial System of which, other than a short stint as an apprentice insurance adjuster - she knows nothing whatsoever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">