• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do we have a case at all?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsdmmom57129

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

The other night I was sitting in my house and my car was parked where it always is. A drunk driver came flying down the driveway(it is a long farm lane). He did not know anyone down here and was just trying to use a short cut to another road. So basically besides being drunk he had no business being on the property. Well he slammed into the back of my van and almost hit the house. We are still waiting to hear if my van will be totaled or whatever but we want to be prepared if it is. I have to admit I loved my car, it had everything I wanted in it. We can't afford a big monthly payment to buy just any new car and don't feel we should have to downgrade just because he hit me. Is there anything we can do to go after him? Oh and the driver was not the owner of the truck that hit mine, so if we can get anything out of someone who do we have to go after. I am not looking for some huge settlement, but I do want all the features in a new car that I had in my old one. So if it gets totaled, we will likely be looking at less then 10k for what we get out of the ins to cover it..probably only about 6k. That won't get me far to get something else I really want.

Isis1

Yes there was a police report. The driver was arrested at the scene.
Did the owner of the car have insurance, if so make sure you file a claim. You can request resititution at the hearing, but that won't cover the full costs. With a used vehicle, and only liability coverage, you will technically never be made exactly "whole" again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">