• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Possession of Alcohol (VA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guitarist757

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hi, my name is Jean. I was charged with Underage Possession of Alcohol (18 y.o.) at a party. Heres the scenario: Cops showed up, I was trying to disappear, figured the back door is a better escape than the front door because police shouldn't be allowed in the backyard unless they have a warrant, or probable cause. I open the back door, and then a police officer immediately starts to question me. I have no alcohol on my person. Here's some dialogue:

*Opens Door*
Officer - Do you have your ID?
Me - Yes. *Hands ID*
Officer - Do you know who lives here?
Me - No I dont
Officer - Have you been drinking?
me - Alittle bit <--mistake 1
Officer - Why are you here?
Me - to regulate <---mistake 2
(at this point there was a stir, and another officer insinuated that I was regulating alcohol)
Me - I was regulating security. I was trying to make sure that people weren't going to fight.
(They gave me a ticket and was told to go home)

Something missing? Yeah, no field sobriety test, and I wasn't carrying any alcohol either. I do understand, however, that what I said was stupid and the only real evidence is that I admitted to drinking. I'm going to try and contest this on the basis of his question. He asked me, "have you been drinkin?" but did not specify alcohol, therefore putting me in a weird technicality. I have a witness who can vouch for this claim as well. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, even if harsh. I can't afford a lawyer, Im using a public defender and plan to meet prior to the court date. RegardsWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hi, my name is Jean. I was charged with Underage Possession of Alcohol (18 y.o.) at a party. Heres the scenario: Cops showed up, I was trying to disappear, figured the back door is a better escape than the front door because police shouldn't be allowed in the backyard unless they have a warrant, or probable cause. I open the back door, and then a police officer immediately starts to question me. I have no alcohol on my person. Here's some dialogue:

*Opens Door*
Officer - Do you have your ID?
Me - Yes. *Hands ID*
Officer - Do you know who lives here?
Me - No I dont
Officer - Have you been drinking?
me - Alittle bit <--mistake 1
Officer - Why are you here?
Me - to regulate <---mistake 2
(at this point there was a stir, and another officer insinuated that I was regulating alcohol)
Me - I was regulating security. I was trying to make sure that people weren't going to fight.
(They gave me a ticket and was told to go home)

Something missing? Yeah, no field sobriety test, and I wasn't carrying any alcohol either. I do understand, however, that what I said was stupid and the only real evidence is that I admitted to drinking. I'm going to try and contest this on the basis of his question. He asked me, "have you been drinkin?" but did not specify alcohol, therefore putting me in a weird technicality. I have a witness who can vouch for this claim as well. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, even if harsh. I can't afford a lawyer, Im using a public defender and plan to meet prior to the court date. RegardsWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You are not of legal age to consume alcohol and you admitted to it.:rolleyes:

So did you tell your parents?

guitarist757

well, for the sake of my argument, technically I admitted to drinking, but not to what substance. but thanks for the feedback:D. Yes, I just informed my mom. . even though it's a bit late.

himself

no one else has any responses? :(

If its in your stomach you possess it in Virginia. However with no breathalyzer they have no prove your had been drinking. Did you say what you had been drinking? Just tell the judge you didn't possess any alcohol my friends did that about 6 years ago and the judge let them go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">