• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worth fighting speeding ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skwerlabusr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello everyone, I was driving up north to visit a college in St. Sault Marie. I want to major in criminal justice. This was a 318 mile trip. It was friday afternoon-evening 4:36pm when I went through the notorious West Branch speed trap area. I have never been this far up north so I had no idea. I went past a few officers in the median between north and south 75 and didn't have any problems. However, later near exit 202 I passed another cop and he pulled me over. I was really nervous but remembered to shut off my vehicle and put the keys on the dashboard. When he came up alongside the car yelled at me to roll down the window. After I did it was pretty uneventful. He asked if I knew how fast I was going. I suggested 80, he said 85, took my information, returned with the ticket for 5 over 75 ($110 and no points). I have driven many many miles for my age (17 turning 18 on the 30h) because I drive 30 miles to school and 30 miles back. I own my own car, pay my own insurance, and I'm generally a really good driver but I just zoned out and wasn't paying attention to my speed. There are several factors to consider and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me?

-I want to become a LEO and it would look really good having a clean record. I definitely will watch my speed from now on.

-This happened two weeks before my birthday and it's such a bummer that I drove for over 2 years without any issues until now.

- I think the judge might be willing to help me out since I was ironically on my way to visit a college for criminal justice.

-The police officer might not show up especially if I request a continuance.

-I am afraid that the judge could be offended since on the ticket the cop wrote 85-85 and already gave me a break. I heard it is possible for him to raise the ticket and give me the points again.

-I don't mind making the 133 mile 2:30 hour trip. I might visit some friends up north.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry, but did you actually have a defense to the charge that you planned to present?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">