• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce consultation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mobomaxwell

If I pay for an attorney consultation regarding a possible divorce, would that prohibit my spouse from using that attorney if a divorce is eventually filed for?

LdiJ

If I pay for an attorney consultation regarding a possible divorce, would that prohibit my spouse from using that attorney if a divorce is eventually filed for?
Are you trying to avoid having your spouse's attorney end up with knowledge about you that would give him/her the upper hand....or is your plan to consult the attorney he/she would want to use, just so /heshe could not use him/her?

For the most part you consulting that attorney would make it a conflict of interest for the attorney to represent your spouse. However, if you spend 30 minutes with the attorney now, and a divorce doesn't happen until many years down the road, where the attorney would have no memory of you or your consult, it might not matter.

mistoffolees

Are you trying to avoid having your spouse's attorney end up with knowledge about you that would give him/her the upper hand....or is your plan to consult the attorney he/she would want to use, just so /heshe could not use him/her?

For the most part you consulting that attorney would make it a conflict of interest for the attorney to represent your spouse. However, if you spend 30 minutes with the attorney now, and a divorce doesn't happen until many years down the road, where the attorney would have no memory of you or your consult, it might not matter.
It's possible that intentional fraud might make it OK for 'his' attorney to represent the stbx. For example, if it's a small town and there are only a few divorce attorneys and he goes around and puts a retainer down for each one to try to keep his wife from using them - but never consults with them, there might not be a conflict of interest.

LdiJ

It's possible that intentional fraud might make it OK for 'his' attorney to represent the stbx. For example, if it's a small town and there are only a few divorce attorneys and he goes around and puts a retainer down for each one to try to keep his wife from using them - but never consults with them, there might not be a conflict of interest.
That's along the lines of what I was getting at.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">